White Exec wrote:An XM in good trim is just staggering...magnificent...a delight to drive or travel in...quite unlike anything else...
And utterly addictive.
Know just how you feel!
Honestly, I smile every time I start it and watch it rise. Everyone who travels in it cant believe how old it is and that it's covered 132k miles.
The only real issue left is that sometimes the rear end stays up or raises a bit too high but I assume this is down to the spheres.
I've just replaced the rears on a Bentley Brooklands and that was a pretty simple job when you work out what to do. Are the XM spheres easy to replace ?
Last edited by rustytractor on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xmexclusive wrote:No there are some differences but I have checked for these.
The donor cars were early Mk2's.
All RHD headlamp glasses are the same just the case different between Mk1 & Mk2.
Fog/indicator lights very different between Mk1 & Mk2. Photo is a Mk2 one.
John
Thanks John, if you think they're correct I'll contact the seller and ask about chips/cracks etc. and if ok I'll order them.
rustytractor wrote:
The only real issue left is that sometimes the rear end stays up or raises a bit too high but I assume this is down to the spheres.
I've just replaced the rears on a Bentley Brooklands and that was a pretty simple job when you work out what to do. Are the XM spheres easy to replace ?
The spheres don't affect the ride height, just the quality.
If the rear is too high with the car parked, but adjusts to the correct level with the engine running, then there is no problem with the height adjustment mechanism, but probably an internal leakage (somewhere) which is causing the system pressure to drop too quickly when the engine is stopped, causing the anti-sink valves to close before the suspension has settled properly.
I think that (almost) all UK Exclusives were fitted with the winter pack option which added headlight washers and heated seats. In France this was not the case so you never see a French XM with headlight washers or heated seats (except for an occasional import from Switzerland or maybe Germany).
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 115,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 51,000 miles
rustytractor wrote:
The only real issue left is that sometimes the rear end stays up or raises a bit too high but I assume this is down to the spheres.
I've just replaced the rears on a Bentley Brooklands and that was a pretty simple job when you work out what to do. Are the XM spheres easy to replace ?
The spheres don't affect the ride height, just the quality.
If the rear is too high with the car parked, but adjusts to the correct level with the engine running, then there is no problem with the height adjustment mechanism, but probably an internal leakage (somewhere) which is causing the system pressure to drop too quickly when the engine is stopped, causing the anti-sink valves to close before the suspension has settled properly.
I think that (almost) all UK Exclusives were fitted with the winter pack option which added headlight washers and heated seats. In France this was not the case so you never see a French XM with headlight washers or heated seats (except for an occasional import from Switzerland or maybe Germany).
Funny - on the Bentley the ride height was wrong (arse in the air) and the rear suspension was so bad it made you feel seasick until the spheres were changed.
Mine sometimes dropsthe rear when parked overnight and sometimes doesn't. The ride height has the same sort of problem - sometimes it rides too high at the back and other times is fine. The fluid level doesn't change and I've never had to top it up until i changed the brakes and bled the system so maybe this is an internal leak as you suggest.
Headlight and fog light.
See ebay items 111621491656 £34 & 191200762858 £27 for offside headlights.
The latter seller also has an offside fog light 161325862280 for £15.
As far as I can see all items are chip free but you may be wise to ask.
If you look at the headlight photos you will see that the glass just seats on a rubber seal and is held with flat spring steel clips.
John
I spoke to the seller who had both items for sale and he assured me that both lenses were ok so I've ordered them.
Now I need to find a passenger side inner tailgate lens as mine has a very minor crack - very picky I know but while I'm in a buying frenzy I may as well try to locate one.
Dean wrote:That is very smart, im not a big MK2 fan but the back end of that one looks rather nice without the bigger spoiler, very clean car indeed.
D
I didn't know they made one with a bigger spoiler. I'm ashamed to admit that I know very little about these cars except that I stumbled onto this one and have loved every minute Ive owned it.
It's used every day (and pretty hard I might add as I don't drive slowly), I load it up with God knows what and it takes everything in its stride. A truly remarkable car.
I suspect your rear height corrector linkage needs lubricating.
Spheres are the same as Bentley ones, they use the Citroen system
91 3.0 sei M. 4852 EXY Black
92 2.1 sed M. 5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24. 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1 sd M. 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1sd M. 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1sd A. 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1sd A. 6218 ERT Triton
91 2.0si M. 5187 EWT White