Page 3 of 10
Re: A Decision to make.... Dont be shy Tell me!!!
Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:13 pm
by xmexclusive
I stand corrected on the car purchased.
john
Re: A Decision to make.... Dont be shy Tell me!!!
Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 pm
by MTXM
Not a problem John and quite understandable with all these S1 24v's flying about at the moment!! Whoever said that the model was rare!! I have the feeling you might be tempted by the mandarin car at the right price!! Regards, Matthew T.
Re: A Decision to make.... Dont be shy Tell me!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 am
by messerschmitt owner
looking at that SD just now, that's a breaker. However, in a decade people will be restoring cars worse than that as there will be no choice. It happened with DSs, it's happened with CXs, it'll happen with XMs.
I'd still break it.
Re: A Decision to make.... Dont be shy Tell me!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:08 am
by xmexclusive
IMHO there are still too many UK XM's for them to be considered rare or collectors items.
Disposal for scrap will remain the ruling price for another 5 years at least.
The big bill to repair mechanical failure will tip the balance for a good few.
Unexpected appearance of rust (typically inner cills) at MOT time will take many others.
Because of the unique appeal of the XM to some owners odd driveways and other storage spots about the country are littered with XM's.
Given up on the car themselves but know they will put it back on the road one day.
Many of these cars are now basket cases, only really fit for spares and scrap.
Too many people saying these XM must be saved but want it done on someone elses time, effort and money.
Sorry but I think we just need to pillage for critical spares the 1000 or so UK XM's that will be cubed in the next few years.
Otherwise we will not be able to keep our remaining XM's on the road.
John
Re: A Decision to make.... Dont be shy Tell me!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 am
by citroenxm
Well the car has now been moved into the work space area.. need to empty it of stored items and make a start on interior first so it can then be loaded with crap...
Should really collect some s1 bits instead of trying to keep them whole. The grey sd one was worth it because it only has 106k on the clock.. but this one though very good mechanicaly and recent clutch has 167k on it.. but not that tidy.
Re: A Decision to make.... Dont be shy Tell me!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:26 am
by xmexclusive
Hi Paul
The right decision I believe.
Still very difficult to actually make.
I firmly believe that the bit pillaging that we manage on these that go will be critical to the remaining XM's.
Knowing what will most likely be needed is the key element that we supply to this process.
No second chance once its cubed.
No chance at all from the ones that go straight into the crusher.
John
Re: A Decision to make.... Dont be shy Tell me!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:35 am
by citroenxm
Thing is john.. local scrap yard owner has a good collection he has kept after taking in. But if they are registered as scrap can not return to the road i beleve.. i just thought with this one still on sorn it could return.. then the plan is to have a talk with the yard owner and see if i can buy some off him over time as a part stock.. he has told me to keep in touch and his mrs has already danced and said yes please do buy some..
Re: A Decision to make.... Dont be shy Tell me!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:03 pm
by xmexclusive
I think there are 3 categories of cars which cannot return to the road.
Recorded scrappage scheme cars (Parts may be reused).
Occupant fatal accident cars (When released Cubed with no recovery of parts permitted).
High category accident cars (Insurance Co specify Parts only).
All others grovelling letter to DVLA asking for new V5 and explaining reasons why V5 was cancelled in error.
If they agree chances are a VIC check will be specified before new V5 is issued.
A helpful scrapyard may be willing to tell the DVLA the V5 was processed by mistake when the car was actually left stored after depollution.
As its all done by computer these days that may even avoid the need for a VIC inspection.
John
Re: A Decision to make.... Dont be shy Tell me!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:47 pm
by beko1987
I had the same dilemma with my Puma, utterly loved it, had a good spec but was rusty as heck, and with enough good examples around to negate the benefit of restoration, it got pillaged of all sellable parts and sent to the great weighbridge in the sky!
I'd say with XM spares as they are, breaking it will be of more benefit.
Or, hide it away in a barn for 30 odd years, then sell it on ebay as a barn find (scatter some hay over it for authenticity), light restoration needed etc and watch the £££'s roll in*
*may or may not actually happen
Re: A Decision to make.... Dont be shy Tell me!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:04 pm
by russ92xmsed
I love the optimism!
I agree, pillage for parts. Even the dodgy panels...they can still be repainted. Discard the rusty bits!