Hello Chaps....new owner

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Post Reply
Stickfinger
Citrobics expert
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Re: Hello Chaps....new owner

Post by Stickfinger »

Ohh yes, I needed a VERY strong pair of hands from a friend to do the stud side one on my V6 Activa.

I will have to heat this one today to get the ball joint uncrewed......I tried yesterday and it was very stuck. I have soaked it overnight with penetrating fluid, a wet rag wrapped around the socket joint, a pair of big mole grips and a gas torch with added hope, fingers crossed.
Stickfinger
Citrobics expert
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Re: Hello Chaps....new owner

Post by Stickfinger »

Nice new boot fitted....a bit of a faff getting it over the rack end (very tight) but with a bit of experienced fingering and prodding it slipped on OK.
Image

On the plus side, it is nice to work in a clean area/on a clean car, less worry about dirt and grime going inside the boot.
Stickfinger
Citrobics expert
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Re: Hello Chaps....new owner

Post by Stickfinger »

Fitted the new shorter belt today, it has cured the excessive belt slap I had......result !

I have also fitted the new engine bay stickers, what fabulous quality they are.

Image

Image

Image
Stickfinger
Citrobics expert
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Re: Hello Chaps....new owner

Post by Stickfinger »

Dressing the front bumper....primer on
Image

Colour on....
Image
Stickfinger
Citrobics expert
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Re: Hello Chaps....new owner

Post by Stickfinger »

As soon as it came out of the garage it started raining heavily.....anyway, it is all road legal now with taxes and insurance.

Image

It has now officially gone from a "broken car" to one that just needs constantly fixing = saved XM.

I am a happy bunny today.
Dieselman
Global Moderator
Posts: 15272
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Hello Chaps....new owner

Post by Dieselman »

Stickfinger wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:21 pm As soon as it came out of the garage it started raining heavily.....anyway, it is all road legal now with taxes and insurance.

Image

It has now officially gone from a "broken car" to one that just needs constantly fixing = saved XM.

I am a happy bunny today.
You've done a great job saving that one.
It is in remarkably good, rust-free condition, so well worth the effort.

Many Xm have been scrapped needlessly.

Drive it, enjoy it, fix it...
91 3.0 sei M. 4852 EXY Black
92 2.1 sed M. 5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24. 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1 sd M. 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1sd M. 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1sd A. 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1sd A. 6218 ERT Triton
91 2.0si M. 5187 EWT White
User avatar
White Exec
Citroen God!
Posts: 6642
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:38 pm
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: Market Drayton, UK

Re: Hello Chaps....new owner

Post by White Exec »

Stickfinger wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:21 pm Image

It has now officially gone from a "broken car" to one that just needs constantly fixing = saved XM.
I am a happy bunny today.
And so you should be - A tremendous job, Alasdair.
She looks lovely, emerging from the jungle!

Just love that line above :roll:
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003
Stickfinger
Citrobics expert
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Re: Hello Chaps....new owner

Post by Stickfinger »

Thanks chaps.....I would not be at this stage without all your help....100% !


Golden Brown

Been working on the last bit today, rust proofing the rear wheel arches with Bilt & Hamber S50

Image

Image

Image
Stickfinger
Citrobics expert
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Re: Hello Chaps....new owner

Post by Stickfinger »

I have some Spare Love to give.
I have stripped off the rusty & rotten sheet metal, wire brushed and painted with "rust eater"....I will paint it with whatever I have on the shelf .....maybe Pink radiator paint which I have left over from a job 🙂 🙂

Image

I will weld the cross support back on and will try and use a spare Xantia rear wheel arch liner to protect the wheel from direct hits from road dirt and debris.
Dieselman
Global Moderator
Posts: 15272
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Hello Chaps....new owner

Post by Dieselman »

I would be wary of using a plastic arch liner as the carrier shield, as it will be right next to the exhaust silencer.

Admittedly, the exhaust won't be as hot as a petrol one, but there is no heat shield, which there is on petrol engined cars.

The wheel isn't going to get very dirty anyway, as it is in the centre of the car.
91 3.0 sei M. 4852 EXY Black
92 2.1 sed M. 5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24. 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1 sd M. 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1sd M. 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1sd A. 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1sd A. 6218 ERT Triton
91 2.0si M. 5187 EWT White
Post Reply