Page 6 of 25
Re: 2 * 2.1 SD
Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:05 am
by White Exec
Thanks, Gabor.....looks an interesting and straightforward device. Will explore both avenues.
Re: 2 * 2.1 SD
Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:27 am
by Dieselman
Back to the car.
I replaced all the dashboard lamps the other evening as out of 20 only 4 were illuminating.
Today was MOT time, with a pass gained.
Re: 2 * 2.1 SD
Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:46 am
by Dean
Result Will, well done.
D
Re: 2 * 2.1 SD
Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:08 pm
by Dieselman
Dean wrote:Result Will, well done.
D
On the lamps or the test...?
The O/s steering gaiter is due for replacement, which is a bit annoying as it's only 3 years old...but that's aftermarket parts for you...otherwise all is good.
I welded a patch on the o/s rear sill and sorted the reason for water ingress. The seam sealer at the dogleg was shot and as an aside the fuel filler pipe was touching the inner sill, trapping water. I adjusted it on the tank spigot to create clearance.
Re: 2 * 2.1 SD
Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:20 pm
by Dean
Both.
Some aftermeerkat stuff can be shocking, some others can be great, its tricky with rubbers and the like. Is this rust in your manderin car?
D
Re: 2 * 2.1 SD
Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:23 am
by Dieselman
Dean wrote:
Is this rust in your manderin car?
D
Wash your mouth out, Dean...
This is the cobalt one which sat around in grass before my ownership. The rust is just a small bit where the outer sill meets the rear jacking point. It won't happen again for two reasons;
1, I've dealt with the water entry area and moved the fuel filler hose.
2. I've plated it in stainless steel.
Once the paint is tidied up, I'll rustproof the whole car.
Re: 2 * 2.1 SD
Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:37 pm
by Dean

I did wonder
D
Re: 2 * 2.1 SD
Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:00 pm
by Dieselman
I fitted a steering rack gaiter today and used a genuine Citroen part for longevity.
What a challenge it was getting the 10mm hole over the end of the track rod, though I eventually found what is quite an easy solution. as a spreader I used a 6" 1/4" extension as a centre to support a mastic gun nozzle followed by a long 3/8" socket. Even when applying liberal doses of grease I kept getting stuck just as the gaiter tried to ramp up onto the track rod and it took a while to find a solution.
I taped the socket to the track rod with a couple of layers of gaffa tape. Voilla...!!!
As an aside, while the rack was exposed I wound it over to full lock then applied Moly grease as far as I could reach in. I get the impression the steering is a little lighter, but irrespective, it should keep the wearing parts in better condition for longer.
Re: 2 * 2.1 SD
Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:17 am
by captainhaddock
You could have taken off the track rod

Ah well however you get it fitted, it's done. I'll check how mine are faring (original versus non original)
Re: 2 * 2.1 SD
Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:40 am
by Dieselman
I couldn't see how to part the track rod from the inner end joint. Does it?
The final solution worked a treat.