Right, I'm very much overdue an update!
Good news - I've found the issue with my ABS system. This connector beside the fusebox had broken down inside and is producing a very high impedence:
I only discovered this by back-probing the loom at the ECU end, and I could see the voltage was collapsing when the circuit was made. I checked and confirmed this by making up a test lamp and using it to test the power feed with the ECU removed: +12v without a load, 0v when under load. I then made a jumper lead so that I could provide +12v to the ECU to test there weren't other issues, and with the jumper lead everything worked.
I've cut out the old connector, and replaced it with a new waterproof connector.
The ABS light now comes on, shows the self test flickers, then goes out. It's nice to not have that lamp permanently lit up anymore!
The only downside is that I started looking for issues at the fusbox end (I can't recall why, there was some sort of reasoning at the time) and so that was a faff to reinstall.
I found the Bitron box in the driver's footwell. I disected it, and found that one diode was scorched and a few others are dead
I'll try and get round to removing and replacing those, although annoyingly the scorched one is under the legs of the connector.
I then finished putting the timing covers back on, engine mount, and cooling hoses, radiators etc. that I'd removed when following the wiring loom. After that I filled the coolant:
This would have been a perfect job for my spill free funnel, but my son broke the funnel part when I left it in his reach a while back. Luckily the adapters were still usefull, and the bedge job I made from those and another funnel didn't leak that much.
The bitron box is temporarily installed, and I ran the car up to operating temp to let it self bleed.
All seems good now - the new thermostat has made a brilliant improvement to the warm up time and running temperature of the car.
1 in 4 chance of getting the worst side of this thing pointing the way you don't want it, and somehow even when I make note to pay attention I get it wrong. It's now been turned to the most 'enthusiastic' side.
I've had to advance the pump to about 3/4 of the way through its movement, and now the car start fairly reliably. I do think it's too far advanced though, as I'm sure I'm getting some diesel knock. It needs some more fiddling to get right, I'm wondering if the collar on the fuelling screw has slipped as I recall adjusting this to add more fuel did help with the starting before.
There we have it though, a happy car with a clear dashboard for a change:
Albeit not for long.
The offside front brake pipe burst on the way to work the day after the car was 'finished'. I limped it home using the parking brake where practical (I was only about half a mile from home). The pipe must have been at the end of its life anyway, and my work in the vicinity has tipped it over the edge.
I've put the car back on stands and I've started stripping the old brake line off, and will replace it over the next couple of days.
I have come to a conclusion though: I'm at the end of my journey with this car, and it's time for it to find a new home. I have a lot of other projects which need attention, and I also have an upcoming move of my storage. Originally I was holding on to this as I knew I'd never see my time investment back from it (I think I'm at about 500+ hours now), and the idea of selling it and never seeing that time back was a bit gutting. Now my time is far more important and needed elsewhere, so letting it go and losing out on the time (and money) spent doesn't feel so bad anymore. I'll get a post in the correct forum up once the brake line is replaced, but I'm hoping for £750 for it which I hope isn't unreasonable for an XM that will be ready to drive away.
I'd like to say a big thank you to you Dieselman, your knowledge of these cars has been immensely helpful, and in all honesty without your input I think I probably would've given up on this car a fair amount of time ago and it possibly wouldn't have seen the road again. If we ever cross paths then I certainly owe you a drink or two!