Page 3 of 9

Re: New Member

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:19 pm
by MTXM
That is all very interesting stuff Dave and I believe the black cloth interior was not an option we had in the UK. The box you mention contains both relays (for petrol pump, oxygen sensors etc.) and ecus for the abs, engine and suspension. I think the ecus are most to have likely survived the drenching of coolant, although connections should be cleaned and relays checked. The best source of V6 specific parts (XM and Pegeout 605) I have found is in Germany, including ebay, although I have other made contacts in France. The DeLorean also had the 12v PRV engine of course and you should have a few of those over there! I have changed the language on at least two of my cars and I note your signature includes your rp number of 5111. With regards, Matthew T.

Re: New Member

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:05 pm
by citroenxm
Tapping the relays DOES NOTHING!

You need to unclip the row of all 4 relays on the front of the ECU box on the (LOOKING AT THE CAR) Left side, and move them about ...

Theres no use leaving them in place and tapping them...

Re: New Member

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:52 pm
by White Exec
Hell's bells . . . what a chequered history! They certainly do things differently in the States, and differently in different states!
Do get some photos posted when you can, not least of the interior.

Our European XMs carry a plate on the front slam panel which states clearly that the vehicle is not intended (by Citroen) for sale or use in USA or Canada. There were engine versions with different emissions specs, though.

Try to get the front and back Centre spheres replaced - they are the ones that provide the soft ride, by switching in additional gas volume. Without them in circuit (or if lacking gas) the ride will be firm.

As you will be able to read from some recent posts here, the jacking points are the car's underside Achilles' Heel. They were never built strong enough to properly lift the car repeatedly, and were often wrecked by clumsily used workshop trolley jacks. Just repair them, and always jack up under the subframe (front) or suspension boxwork or crosstube (rear).

Do thoroughly clean up and check all those earthing points (a number on the front inner wing panels, and some more under the left and right interior kick panels, in the footwells, just ahead of the front door lower hinges (remove the plastic finisher to get access). If still the spade connector type, clean thoroughly and nip up tight before pushing on.

Keep us posted!

Re: New Member

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:14 pm
by Citroen/Dave
I have the RP number, 5111, which translates to November 5, 1990 according to a west coast USA Citroen site. I hope to have it up and running for its 25 year birthday . . . John, I found a cross reference for the oil filter info you sent. New filter to arrive tomorrow at the local parts store but can't use it until I get the engine running.

Re: New Member

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:53 pm
by Citroen/Dave
http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/Citro ... g.html?o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Re: New Member

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:03 am
by White Exec
CAREFUL with the above page: It brought with it a dialogue box "You have 1 message waiting for you...". This is a known virus entry point. Don't click on (or do anything with) the box.

__________

So, if you can plate up the car Virginia Citroen Antique, what happens so far as insurance/claims/accidents are concerned?

Re: New Member

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:59 am
by Citroen/Dave
Chris,

I removed the "You have 1 message..." from the Photobucket link above. I hope no one had a problem. This is my first use of Photobucket.

I have liability insurance on the car. If the car is damaged it's my nickel. I considered the $4000 a total loss when I purchased the car . . .

I too have a Toyota Rav 4. Mine is a 2006 and it is worse than riding a horse. Do you have none-steel tires? All US tires now have to be steel cord. I think the additional weight of my Michelin steel radials make the ride rougher. Tires sold in the US now are formulated to dry rot after 6 years. Guaranteed repeat business. My Italian XM tires are 15 years old with no dry rot. I used to cut new grooves in bald Michelins on my old DS's. I got over 100,000 miles on many of them . . . Sorry I got off topic.

Dave

Re: New Member

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:30 pm
by citroenxm
Interesting car has later series two y4 centreless alloys fitted..

She has lost her original spec alloys.. Looks tidy enough..

Re: New Member

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:44 pm
by Citroen/Dave
The US tire shops have balance machines with a shaft that goes through the center of the rim. I am currently looking first for a shop that has the old bubble balancer. I will later try to find 4 Italian manufactured rims to match the spare that I purchased from Dave Burnham; my spare has a pop out center.

Re: New Member

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:59 pm
by White Exec
Hi Dave,

Good tire (tyre) shops here have an adaptor assembly that allows fixing of "non-thru (through)" wheels to the balancing machine axle. Some tire (you've got me at it now!!!) shops don't have these though. Dynamic (spinning) balancing will always be better than the old bubble kit.

Our RAV4 (2.0 D4D) runs with its original alloy wheels, and shod with Bridgestone 687, 235-60 R16 100H, steel-belted.
You may well have a different wheel size, though.
I find the Bridgestones very good, on and off tarmac, and when plugging mud. Do not over-inflate, though, or ride will be very knobbly (just like the XM, which is absolutely best on Michelin Energys).