Page 3 of 5
Re: Gloucester S1 XM 2.0 Petrol For Scrap
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:25 pm
by Ciaran
Campbell,
Are you after the seats, doorcards, and general trim, or is it available?
Also interested in glovebox strut...
Ciarán
Re: Gloucester S1 XM 2.0 Petrol For Scrap
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:29 pm
by messerschmitt owner
robert_e_smart wrote:The wood trim was an after thought for me, I thought it would be a good replacement for the dreadful plastic imitation wood in the late S2. Which leads me onto my next point, why did they bother with the imitation wood, black plastic would have been nicer!
actually, I think the wood looks 'bog!' I have plastic in the white car and fake wood in the green one and prefer the look of the white car's dash.
Andrew
see you tomorrow.
Ciaran
Andrew and Will have first dibs on things like that. The glovebox was locked and I had no keys when I viewed.
Will is tempted by the leather, I'm not - not a huge fan, although I think the front seats may be heated as it looked like it had heated seat buttons.
Campbell
Re: Gloucester S1 XM 2.0 Petrol For Scrap
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:39 pm
by Ciaran
Thanks Campbell, if none of you guys take it then I'll happily take it off your hands, I may be over there for two weeks or so in October
Still interested in the doorcards and glovebox strut if they're going
Oh, and the steering wheel!
Ciarán
Re: Gloucester S1 XM 2.0 Petrol For Scrap
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:58 pm
by andmcit
The wood on the lids of the s1's is a real veneer and not remotely as evil and
plasticcy as the s2 stuff but it's not exactly top quality handpicked for it's grain
wood you'd expect to see on premium kit. But then again we're hardly in Rolls -
Royce, "it's just got to be New Zealand leather only as they don't use barbed
wire for fencing" banal levels of fastidiousness...
I don't go for leather myself but will endure it to keep my 24v v6 as per spec.
Not bothered one way or the other in other cars I have but in preference would
buy a cloth interior car if everything else was the same between one with/without
leather.
Andrew
Re: Gloucester S1 XM 2.0 Petrol For Scrap
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:00 pm
by Dieselman
Ciaran wrote:Campbell,
Are you after the seats, doorcards, and general trim, or is it available?
Also interested in glovebox strut...
Ciarán
I'm not really fussed about leather, it's just that initially Campbell mentioned it but then was less keen so I thought it would be a waste to let it go for scrap, and thought it might go well with my Speedline alloys, when fitted. But I would always keep the Romana velour in storage as it really is the nicest XM trim ever available.
Re: Gloucester S1 XM 2.0 Petrol For Scrap
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:20 pm
by minijet
.
andmcit wrote:The wood on the lids of the s1's is a real veneer and not remotely as evil and
plasticcy as the s2 stuff
I have wood trim in two of my (S2) cars, and as far as I can tell it is actual wood, not plastic.
Here's a close up.....
And the underside....
That looks like wood to me.
Don't know if it looks evil and plasticcy to you Andrew, but what's the alternative to plasticcy wood?......
.........plasticcy black plastic?......
Paul
.
Re: Gloucester S1 XM 2.0 Petrol For Scrap
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:29 pm
by andmcit
That doesn't look so glossy and plasticcy and more matte like the s1 is-it-wood.
I must confess I don't really mind the honest black plastic. For my sins I 'designed'
the fake wood grain for the old, oh my god it's so ugly, Ford Granada - now there's
a claim to fame!!

I also worked on the airbag steering wheel for the CDW 39 IIRC,
which became the original Mondeo.

Anyhow, there was a proposal,
remember we're talking 1990 here, for a black ash and I really loved how it looked.
It was deemed too subtle.
Someone prior to me was driven to spray metallic silver over the 'wood' cappings
in my 1999 Activa and I feel it relieves the dash more than the wood or the black
trims.
Andrew
Re: Gloucester S1 XM 2.0 Petrol For Scrap
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:36 pm
by Dieselman
andmcit wrote:
Someone prior to me was driven to spray metallic silver over the 'wood' cappings
in my 1999 Activa and I feel it relieves the dash more than the wood or the black
trims.
Andrew
I disagree. the wood on XM and Xantia dash can look ok, and a lot better than the horrible plastic found on Series2 dash....but, the wood for the series 1 is too light. If it was darker it would (wood

) look loads better.
My other car has black birds eye-maple and it looks the business..
Re: Gloucester S1 XM 2.0 Petrol For Scrap
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:43 pm
by minijet
.
andmcit wrote:For my sins I 'designed'
the fake wood grain for the old, oh my god it's so ugly, Ford Granada
Nice one Andrew
I'm not familiar with this one (presumably the later Granada, not the older square one), but I actually liked the shiny fake wood in the early Mondeo's
So how do you go about designing fake wood? Couldn't they just take a photo of some burr walnut and print it onto the plastic?
So how do they get the fake wood grain onto the plastic?
BTW I absolutely hate that hideous metal trim that's fashionable in cars now.
Paul
.
Re: Gloucester S1 XM 2.0 Petrol For Scrap
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:44 pm
by Dieselman
minijet wrote:.
BTW I absolutely hate that hideous metal trim that's fashionable in cars now.
Agreed. I think it looks cheap.