Page 2 of 3

Re: Greetings from Finland

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:43 am
by captainhaddock
A strut return pipe Rojekti is something we should have mentioned to change. It's recommended to change every 5 years or so. Luckily it's an easy job and it won't break the bank.

Do get the special pliers to attach, they are cheap as well. They fail when the car is used a lot or not at all...:)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Suspens ... 33a149104f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Greetings from Finland

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:30 am
by Jan-hendrik
It's recommended to change every 5 years or so.
I had not encountered this advice before. But is seems sound advice. I had the hose on the left side shear last summer (lasted 14 years) and fixed that with a piece of generic hose and HP pipe.
Image

The return hoses from the height correctors should probably be changed at the same intervals! Any other rubber hoses?

Re: Greetings from Finland

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:36 am
by Jan-hendrik
Oh, BTW, captainhaddock, have you changed the hoses yourself and bought from the posted seller on ebay? And where can I find the special pliers? Do I really need those?

Re: Greetings from Finland

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:38 am
by captainhaddock
The very first drive in my first XM I suffered the same problem and fixed that hose similarly.

That lasted 3 years only and I opted for new ones when I had a leak once again.

The rubber just fails after so many time or miles and movements. It is however very repairable since it's low pressure and in fact in both my XM's I carry emergency repair pipes and wraps just in case they fail on me ;)

You can get home in my case with 1 litre of spare LHM when they fail, as I know now....so that is about 60 miles or so.

Re: Greetings from Finland

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:42 am
by captainhaddock
Not sure JH,I think they ca but they were original Citroen items, being wrapped in PSA plastic. The link I sent was just the first hit I found in a quick search and about the price I paid. The pliers I bought here in the village (West of Ireland) years ago for a fiver I think. You can also use them for the drive shaft gaiters.

Re: Greetings from Finland

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:51 am
by Jan-hendrik
Thanks for the reply!

Re: Greetings from Finland

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:48 am
by xantia_v6
The hoses are still available from Citroen at a reasonable price. Before I bought a pair of pliers, I replaced a pair of these hoses by putting cable ties above and below the metal band, tightening these until the band could be re-clipped, then cutting off the cable ties.

Re: Greetings from Finland

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:43 pm
by Rojekti
Pics of the car and own thread. I'll do some kind of blog there. XM is very interesting.

Gotta take care of the bearings etc.

Leaking hose seems to be near the exhaust pipe.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Greetings from Finland

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:48 pm
by Rojekti
Whops, didn't realize there was 2nd page. Stupid me.

Apparently it's not a low pressure hose but a high pressure pipe.

Re: Greetings from Finland

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:08 am
by ekjdm14
captainhaddock wrote:The very first drive in my first XM I suffered the same problem and fixed that hose similarly.
Same thing happened to us, when the car was dropped off we went for a quick spin round the block and on our return the offside front return had sheared off, also a similar fix... should really replace them both but can't seem to justify nearly 40 quid for 2 bits of rubber hose with a funny end on (not searched very hard yet but what ive found were about 20 apiece) so may look into cutting the hose close to the strut and joining a new piece on, see how well that lasts :roll:

Only HP pipe I can think near exhaust pipe would be for the antisink sphere or maybe HA spheres, I'm sure someone with real XM experience will add to/correct this info :)