Page 2 of 5

Re: I must be mad.........

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:58 pm
by Ciaran
fakeconcern wrote:
Ciaran wrote:Welcome to the nut house.

Lovely looking XM, nice numberplate too. Throw away those Monte Carlo wheels and get a set of Etoiles or S1 24vs on there and it'll be perfect :D

Ciarán
Thanks! I didn't even notice the plate to start with.

I don't know what the various wheels are called, but I like the Wobbly web (!) ones. I don't suppose my wife will let me buy any though!
The wobbly web ones are called Etoiles. There are two types, ones with a centre hole and those without.
The hole-less ones are to be avoided because they're nearly impossible to get balanced as they can't fit on the machine in most tyre places. The Monte Carlos (i.e S2 'Exclusive') wheels on your car have the same issue... no centre hole.

Ciarán

Re: I must be mad.........

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:02 pm
by mds141
Most ATS Euromaster outfits carry the adapter for balancing centre less alloys.

Re: I must be mad.........

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:04 pm
by Ciaran
I didn't know that, thank you Mark.

I have a set of centre-less Etoiles in a relative's garage I've been meaning to put on a car for about 3 years now....

Ciarán

Re: I must be mad.........

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:43 pm
by mds141
When I bought my current set, I wanted to swap the better tyres off my existing wheels, so started to ring round all the fast-fit places to no avail, one off the local independent garages put me onto ATS. It's possible they carry the adapter due to their association with Michelin.

The adapter is around £1200, so you can see their reluctance to keep hold of one, on the rare occurrence of having to balance centre less alloys.

Re: I must be mad.........

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:36 pm
by MTXM
I am hoping so! The car is a 12v, know that's the wrong one to get, but it looks great and I only really want to cruise in it
I am sorry I had forgotten it had the PRV engine and I now recall seeing Geoff with the car at the Harrogate International event! The 12v is a very desirable motor in my mind (I have four) and much simpler and easier to maintain than the ESJ, plus the gearbox should last a bit longer with careful driving and regular oil changes. In your car there is additional interest being a later S2 example, which is possibly even rarer than the S1. With regards, Matthew T.

Re: I must be mad.........

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:47 pm
by citroenxm
fakeconcern wrote: I am hoping so! The car is a 12v, know that's the wrong one to get, but it looks great and I only really want to cruise in it, I have a C4 VTS to zoom around in!
Ouch! Be carefull, theres a few that like the PRV engines.. I for one do too!

But, the one to really have is the PRV 24v engine! Come in manual form only, have 200bhp on tap, and sound sooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!

The 12v makes a nice noise, but the 24v is louder, more rauchious, faster, quicker, and more fun!

I have a 12v auto SEi too, on LPG, currently though under waiting for a total over haul!

I eyed this black V6 up myself, black my favorite colour, but alas, way out my price range! Looks a tidy car.

We hope you WILL come to X rally, Burghley House, Peterborough, end of April...

Re: I must be mad.........

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:36 pm
by fakeconcern
Thanks for all the info on engines and wheels, still a lot to learn.
I will come to the X rally if I can. I was there in 2013 & looking through my photos, so was Geoff with the blue 24v.

Here is my C4 with Franklin's one.

Re: I must be mad.........

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:39 pm
by citroenxm
I think I went to the 2013 X rally, in my Xantia Exclusive HDi... however, this year Id like to be there in my XM V6 24v Manual!

Re: I must be mad.........

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:59 pm
by fakeconcern
citroenxm wrote:I think I went to the 2013 X rally, in my Xantia Exclusive HDi... however, this year Id like to be there in my XM V6 24v Manual!
In that case I'll have to come!

Which are the wheels that are prone to warping?

Re: I must be mad.........

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:44 pm
by xmexclusive
The Monte Carlos and the later Ville de Monte Carlo are both centreless.
These have a reputation for warping but I think it is unjustified.
A while ago I took a condemned set to a specialist for skimming and was given them back uncharged as they were fine.
There are very few tyre places with the balancing jig.
Competence with the jig is the next issue because they will see so few of these wheels.
I now ask them to check the wheel balance without tyre first.
Most Etoille's have the centre hole so are easy to balance.
I am slowly getting rid of the Monte Carlos from my XM's.
For the purists Monte Carlos were supplied on Exclusive Mk 2's from the 1996 Model year onward.
The correct wheels for a 1995 Model year Mk 2 Exclusive were V6-24V alloys.

John