Potential new owner.

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
TomSaintJames
Can find the S1 radio

Potential new owner.

Post by TomSaintJames » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Hello fellow cit fans, I am contemplating buying myself an XM toward the end of the year. I'm no stranger to hydraulic cits, at the moment I have an 85 BX GT and my daily 93 TXD turbo. For anyone who visits the BXClub forum, I am 'Saintjamesy89'. The reason i'm thinking about an XM is size and prestige. I am rather bias toward the BX, and plan to have several besides the GT, and although the TXD turbo is nippy, does 50 mpg easily and is perfectly adequate, it is tatty and needs work. I bought it unseen on ebay for 300 odd pounds and am chuffed with it, but if it's staying i'd want to vastly improve it. OR I could upgrade, and keep BXing non-daily which sounds rather attractive to me! Here are a pair of shameless pics of my BX's (sorry).

(GT is undergoing recomissioning after a 10 year lay up by previous owners)

So then, I have heard many woes of XM's, electrical gremlins, head gasket worries and the usual hydraulic jitters (which I know to be tosh). Are these issues myths? Obviously it really depends on a cars history/care/maintenance etc but common problems to look out for would be great. Next to consider is engine choice, thanks to my BX turbo I am a derv convert (mechanical derv at least), but do miss the noise and instant throttle response of a petrol. So my initial thoughts are either the diesel daddy 2.5 manual, or a TCT/na 2.0 8v, my work commute is roughly 50 miles a day on national limit A roads and a bit of dual carriagway so not too bad economy wise if gently, best out of the BX is a smidgen over 51, the worst 44. I would like to avoid auto's if possible, and really prefer the look of the S1 XM's, I almost bought that 2.0 8v gold early S1 on carandclassic last year, but never got further than negotiations. I'm still a young'un, so there's insurance to consider as well, the BX cost me around 600 this year to insure, that's with 6 points (don't ask :( ).

Basically it's a question of keep the TXD (and tart up, and modify for torque/economy) or get an XM and if so which XM, and some pointers! Sorry for all the waffle, but I really don't know much about them, and wanted to sort out my preferences. Ta.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: Potential new owner.

Post by Dieselman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:57 pm

You should have bought the 2.0i-turbo on ebay until today, it was a slightly tatty, but sound car in need of TLC.

The Gold Si now belongs to Eddinuff, on here.

The killer of XM's as with all old cars is underbody rust. If the sills are well rotten there will be rust, otherwise probably not much at all.

It's a complex and often neglected car and diesel head gaskets are hard work to do, but in reality they are reliable once you get on top of recommissioning them.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Welcome!

Your BX TXD Turbo used to belong to my father! Nice to see it still going strong.
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:03 pm

A BASE Model would probably suit best then!

Welcome to Club-xm ... Lot of the XM issues are now solved or fixable..

Im currently dooing up a 1992 2.1 SD Manual XM, but is provisionally SOLD before I have even finished her!

The good news is, though 2.1 Manual XMs are harder to find as most are autos, I have One MORE 2.1 TD Manual XM to do up to sell on end of the year.
The car is a 1991 J reg model, Base spec, so not many electricals, EVEN no ABS which is troublesome on early XM, or infact most!

Anyway. 2.5 TD models are all manual too but only available from 1995 onwards in Series TWO cars only. So its down to preference. Originalality, with the "Proper Series 1 Dash" are just a use to use Series 2 Car.. Theres Plus and Negatives for both.

Personally, its S1 cars and the best eira models to go for are K, L or Early M reg models.. Though the car above I was plugging is a J reg. It does feature the Single spoke steering wheel.

The K, L or M reg cars benefitted from a Better Suspension ECU, and setup and rarely play up they also have the earth oints BOLTED unlike early cars which are plugged, however this is easilly fixed in a days work modifying.

Petrol XM are a tad on the thirsty side. The 2.0i 8v a tough engine, but I found one I had rather thirsty.. The 2.5 TD engine is also not the most economical, but its NOT a model for a first timer to XM and some parts for them are extreamily hard to find or silly expensive, also unique to them too.

The best pay off is the 2.1 TD manual really, not just becauseI have a spare one, Ive also a 2.1 SED Manual of my own..

Other opinions will follow and will help confuse matters more as we all have our favorite models.
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Dieselman wrote:You should have bought the 2.0i-turbo on ebay until today, it was a slightly tatty, but sound car in need of TLC.

The Gold Si now belongs to Eddinuff, on here.

The killer of XM's as with all old cars is underbody rust. If the sills are well rotten there will be rust, otherwise probably not much at all.

It's a complex and often neglected car and diesel head gaskets are hard work to do, but in reality they are reliable once you get on top of recommissioning them.
I still cannot see whats Complex????

Its only a Larger better and more styleish BX with some electronics on the suspension. But complex... Nooo NOT at all

Others

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Not to you and me Paul, but to most people it is as it has a lot of electrical gear and not only hydraulic suspension, but electronically controlled hydraulic suspension...

Ye Gads...!! :o
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Ok, hence why I sugested a Base model D or I spec for a first and certainly NOT a 2.5 TD..

You cant even see past the engine to the floor in a 2.5 ...

I dont think the car is complex to a new owner either really if a bit of thought is put to the setup.

Others

TomSaintJames
Can find the S1 radio

Post by TomSaintJames » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Ah yes! I remember the seller mentioning your username. It's a good BX, rides lovely, bit rusty in some places but not any of the common bits. Piintwork is a bit interesting in places but it runs very well (except for the leaks). It's no slouch either, a couple of weeks back the BXC had a rolling road day, 90.5 was the average flywheel BHP, wheel BHP was rather less (low 70's) so just above book figures, not bad for 170000 miles and 20 years.

Dieselman, i'm not looking to buy until November at least, so got plenty of time to save up/look and do some homework. Thanks for your advice!

I'm not too worried about toys, but I do like a nice interior. I expect an XM irregardless of spec will be a nice place to be inside however, being citroes luxury flagship model. Neither am I fussed with ABS, as with early cits it always seems to be a bugger! BX ABS systems are also interesting I hear, their fine until they go wrong and then you cannot get any parts to sort them. So 2.5 td's are out then, if they're complex and only S2. Do the petrols LPG well? Aside from the 2.5, the TCT was my next earmarked engine - but i've never driven or been in any XM so... The 2.1 manual does sound like the best compromise, but most of the XM's seen are 2.1's and I like to be a little different! Do you have a link to your J reg base model that you're doing up citroenxm? Thanks for you advice.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Petrol LPG you mention...??? :D

Ive also a S1 V6 Auto SEi on LPG also to do up!! But she needs a lot of work!

Let me have a look and see what links I have to the J reg. Not taken many yet as its not on the list to start yet... ;)

Others

TomSaintJames
Can find the S1 radio

Post by TomSaintJames » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Oh dear... I don't want 2 XM's, yet at least!

What kind of mpg can you get from a 2.1 manual chaps? Would mid 40's be optimistic? I expect a petrol to be low/mid 30's max for this size of car, especially a V6/turbo.