Rob's XM (Darlington)

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
ragger
Citrobics expert

Rob's XM (Darlington)

Post by ragger » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Having spent a while looking for the best BX I could find, I have ended up buying a poverty spec XM - my first after a number of other BXs and CXs. It is a 2.0 16 valve SX auto.
All I have done with it so far is give it a wash over and filled it with petrol - £97-00 worth! It must a) have been running on fumes and B) have a big tank

My first impressions are that it is a little underpowered, but I didn't buy it for its performance; it's very spacious and nearly as comfortable as a CX! :)

At the moment, after a whole day of ownership, my only concern is its tendency to moan or fart on settling after use - rather disconcerting if the neighbours are around!

Rob
Regards

Rob

XM 2.5 Exclusive
C1
Nissan Cashcard (New C 4 on order)

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: Rob's XM (Darlington)

Post by Dieselman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Well, well, well..what goes round comes round...
That was Pistonheads Shed of the week and until then was owned by forum member Citroenmad. http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1821

Nice to see both it and you.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by kenhall » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi Rob

Welcome to the club - your XM certainly looks clean and tidy from the picture.

As regards Citroen odd hydraulic noises I have heard of groaning and hissing but moaning and farting are new ones on me!! Hopefully it's nothing serious and just a quirk to get accustomed to.

Ken

PS I knew that reg number looked familiar!

minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by minijet » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:28 am

Hi Rob,
welcome to clubxm.
That's a realy nice looking car you've got there.
I recently aquired a white SX. I'm busy replacing the exhaust manifold at the moment. If I ever get it finished I'll give it a good clean. If it looks half as good as yours I'll be well pleased.
Not so pleased if it starts farting though :lol:
You probably don't realise just how good your car actually looks. Check out the first pic in this thread...........
http://club-xm.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=3140
It was that picture that inspired me to get a white one :D

Paul

ragger
Citrobics expert

Post by ragger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks for your comments, Paul and others. :)

The photo of Perry (as in Como - not my idea!) in earlier days is certainly impressive and I whilst I am no spannerer, I do like to wash and polish.

I have now done about 120 miles in mixed driving and the car is growing on me. As long as I don't want to accelerate with great urgency, it seems competent and comfy. What I was looking for really. A top spec model must indeed be an impressive motor. A little earlier in the year, I was tempted by Dr Alex Moulton's 3 litre V6 that came on the market, but I decided something a little less expensive was the way to go for my first venture into XM ownership, in case I didn't like it. I do.

When time and the weather allows, I will take some new photos and post them.

The Boss has seen the pictures of Citroenmad's 6 wheeler and fallen in love with it - I suspect trouble is on the way...

Rob
Regards

Rob

XM 2.5 Exclusive
C1

steelcityuk
Citrobics expert

Post by steelcityuk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 am

Hi,

That's a nice looking car, the white and black remind me of the NASA Apollo colours.

You could try lubing the front struts to see if that's the cause of the noise.

Steve.
XM 2.1 SED K Plate - RP5876
Scenic 1.5 dCi 100
Gone -
Scenic 1.9 dCi 130 FAP
Prius T Spirit
XM S2 TCT Exclusive Hatch LPG
XM S2 2.5 VSX Estate
XM S2 2.1 VSX Hatch
Xantia 110 HDi Exclusive
Pug 405 GTX TD

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:22 pm

Well, ive just replied in another thread about this.

Im very pleased to hear its going well and is in good hands :D

It was also known as Perry Como here too, it will be used to it by now :lol:

Its not the most lively of performers but it offers a relaxed drive and good economy. Hopefully its all going well for you, it never missed a beat when we had it.

Yes the window cables went a few times and the drivers side had a complete new motor assembly while we had it. We did try and keep it nice, it always had what it needed. We rarely used it as an every day car so it did spend a lot of time sitting. Though it was sat under its fully fitted, Xm shape, outdoor car cover - which we still have ...

I might see you around, as your not all that far from me. Ive already spotted you in Darlington once and its not an easy car to miss!

Ive seen pictures of your R5 and it looks stunning, know doubt you will keep the Xm well too.

It would ne nice to see it at some CCC events ...

Let us know how it goes and if you sell it. :)

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

ragger
Citrobics expert

Post by ragger » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks for your comments, Chris, and for having kept this car so fine over your period of ownership.

I have just gone through the extensive thread started by you on the other XM forum and loved the detail and the pictures. Perry realy does look good on the alloys, I shall look out for some as they do "lift" the car's appearance. So what's the cost of an XM shaped car cover nowadays?

Rob
Regards

Rob

XM 2.5 Exclusive
C1

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:29 pm

......About half the cost of an XM :? and yes i am one of the ones mad enough to get one :lol: .
Mine was about £170 i think but it is worth it, its as close to a garage as you can get, its a heavy material so it doesnt flap in the wind and scuff the paint and is very waterproof, it will take any amount of water even now nearly 18months later its like new. The only downside is you have to wash the car before it goes on but then keeping the car clean is no bad thing.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:21 am

ragger wrote:Thanks for your comments, Chris, and for having kept this car so fine over your period of ownership.

I have just gone through the extensive thread started by you on the other XM forum and loved the detail and the pictures. Perry realy does look good on the alloys, I shall look out for some as they do "lift" the car's appearance. So what's the cost of an XM shaped car cover nowadays?

Rob
Well i dont know why i missed your response!

I do still have the fitted cover but I think its sold now, just awaiting confirmation. I was after £100 for it, it was £200+ new. Fully fitted to the Xms shape.

The alloys do look a treat on that car, best style Xm wheels too 8-)
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.