CCC CX, XM and Xantia Rally 2013 - 6/7/8 September.

Want to share pics and writeups from any interesting car shows and events you may have attended? This is the place...
Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re:

Post by Dieselman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Eddie nuff wrote:I saw that one just before I went. In decent nick as well. I was working my way down the row of CX's, asking questions and getting info. ;)
The owner, John, knew nothing about them and bought it sight unseen on a whim. It needs a bit of TLC but is a good car underneath it.

We topped up the LHM, pulled the floor mat from under the accelerator and saw how it went. :roll:
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: CCC CX, XM and Xantia Rally 2013 - 6/7/8 September.

Post by Dieselman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Dean wrote:Those smiles say it all ;) it was a proper boys trip 8-)
There were Women and children went through that loco as well.

Claire offered the "experience" thinking about half a dozen Techno-Nerds would want to see and was somewhat surprised when 50 people of all ages tramped through...some even blew the horns... ;)

Claire's making her error...

The drivers cockpit.

1,700 Bhp V12 generator. That's 1700Bhp at 600 Rpm, iirc...

Not a lot of room...BUT A LOT OF NOISE...

Just after a hot start. Click for video.

Last edited by Dieselman on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prev

Duke
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Re:

Post by Duke » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Eddie nuff wrote:Then onto the convoy at midday, well when I say convoy I mean race to a finish point along A roads, roundabouts, major traffic lights and across Aylsebury. The written directions were decent, thankfully, so when the guy in front raced away at a rate of knots at least you could navigate your way there.
We can't control how people on the convoy drive Neil so that's beyond and out of our control. Although named the convoy drive (it's always been named that since CXM has been going) it could be classed as a drive out - hence each vehicle gets a route booklet with specific instructions listed. Also there was no incentive to get there first with no prizes offered in a timed style route. As stated on the information sheets it was advised for each vehicle to have a driver and passenger as to read the route. Although we all set off in "convoy" we fully expect the line up to get broken up - hence why the last five or six cars arrived a little later. I was at the front of this section as I had to stop at some traffic lights and roundabouts.
Eddie nuff wrote:The fiver for the half breakfast in the pub wasn't worth it and so Sunday morning we had breakfast at the hall on the field.
I echo Dean's comments here, and the breakfasts were available from 8am until 10am when the pub wasn't usually open so it was especially set-up. That was an early start for the pub staff on a weekend too and had to get the breakfasts ready for 8am kickoff.
Eddie nuff wrote:Then over to Chinnor railway for a quick lunch and then sit for ages until they moved the half a dozen carriages out of the way in order to bring around the much talked about Bubble car, or in other words a 1960's British Railway carriage :!: Eventually we're off, down a couple of miles of uneventful track, to not even reach the destination because it was out of action due to a crane. Then when we get back, down the same track, to be offered the chance to look at some more trains. Now if this is your kind of thing good on you, but tbh we decided we had had enough and made our way back, the scenic way.
Pretty much everyone I heard from enjoyed the visit to the railway immensely - certainly it exceeded my expectations. Personally I, and others, loved the experience of travelling on the Bubble car with it's twin AEC engines - I'm not a train anorak, never have been and I doubt ever will however it was a cracking experience. Certainly seeing Jim hanging out of the window getting face full of diesel fumes was one extremely memorable highlight! During the wait for the trains to be swapped over there was amble opportunity for things to do - have a tour of the signal box, visit the shop, have a chat with everyone else, take pictures etc.

The visit to the Class 37 was another highlight - some folk were positively jumping up and down in readiness to get up close. Where else could you go to walk around a running train of this calibre, and if you were lucky get to blow the horn too...!

AND all for £5 per person! Looking at the brochure a run down the track was usually £10, so we had half price discount AND a tour and guide of the special Class 37.
Eddie nuff wrote:On the way over the Fish & Chip van passed us on the way to the field, I do wish we'd followed it. The £15 a head meal was a cold buffet that was all bought in and would cost no more than a fiver each. Couple that with the ale which went flat before you got back to your seat and the feeling of being fleeced was rife.
I've not heard any complaints about the ale that was being drunk - certainly around 80% of our table was on ale and not a bad word said. Details regarding the meal were previously and clearly set out - £15 per head for a traditional farmers buffet. This was all you could eat too so you could go up as many times as you would like and there was desert available too.

Perhaps time to look at this cost in the grand scheme of things. Entry and camping for the whole weekend was free - folk did not have to spend a single penny to come along. Compare this to other shows, such as the CCC National which was around £15 per night! We could of charged £5 per day entry...so £15... and £15 a night camping so another £30. £45 in total which was saved - minus the £15 meal means £30 saved which could go towards fuel to get to the event.

Our field cost was £300 - we as organisers don't mind people knowing that. We were very gratefully to all of you that gave donations to help us clear this cost. We're not a profit led organisation at all - we broke even on the weekend including buying the trophies and the raffles prizes. We don't get paid a penny, we as enthusiasts run the event for enthusiasts. A lot of work went into this event, and we are grateful to all that went. We're not professional events organisers and so learn from previous years on how to run the event - trying out different procedures each year to see how things go. Perhaps next year we will try something else.
Eddie nuff wrote:The afternoon dragged on to 3 o'clock when the raffle and presentations began, which could have been done at least an hour earlier.
The raffle and presentation has always been held at 3:00PM. Every year. Since the beginning of these shows.
Eddie nuff wrote:Everything was quickly shuffled inside due to the heavy shower
We can't control the weather I'm afraid.
Eddie nuff wrote:culminating with the coup de grace in the award of the Roger's Choice trophy . . . to a Jaguar . . . a bloody Jag. It's a Citroen event for christs sake, the clue is in the name - The Citroen Car Club!

You couldn't make it up!
There are no rules that a Citroen has to win a trophy. I can see your point if the E Type won the Best XM award, but this award is different. This award is in memory of Roger Bradford, the long standing chairman of the CX Section, enthusiast towards the marque and also an enthusiast of cars not just with chevrons on the front. Roger was a good friend of mine, and my dad's for many many years and this trophy was for the car (notice car, not specifically Citroen) that he would of exclaimed "Good God!" at that he was well known to have done... This year there wasn't a Citroen that we felt he would of exclaimed at - if, say, the Vert Cali CX Prestige was there (for example) then we know he had tried for many years to acquire that car and it's the only one left - a prime candidate. The E-type is a lovely car and combined with the fact that the owner, Claire, was also driving the train on convoy trip that would of also contributed to him being surprised - most wouldn't expect an E Type to be at the Rally either. We also asked quite a few old friend's of Roger who also suggested the E Type too...
Dieselman wrote:You really missed the best bits by going, though I did notice there was less Arse-ing about in each others cars than on previous events.
Numbers were down a bit Will, although there was a fair bit going on. Paul took Robert and I out for a run in Robert C5s, Robert took my C4 for a spin, I took Robert's C5 for a blast, Robert took William's civilian spec C5 for a run - also saw Matthew driving Mike's LHD V6, and that's the one's that I saw...

Pictures and videos to follow...
1992 (K) Citroen XM 2.1 Turbo SD - Manual - K-BAN

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Claire and Chris's E Type is lovely and the most special car there this time.

Often there have been cars in various levels of modification, but as a lot tend to be open topped, the weather stopped play I suspect.

I have to ask... Do you not think Roger might have said "Oh my God" to this.

Last edited by Dieselman on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prev

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:09 pm

:lol: I think he would have done.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:09 pm

once you've had estate you never go back.............is that right?

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:10 pm

I generally enjoyed the weekend, although I have to agree with Neil about the evening meal that really was not worth £15. At the risk of sounding like a griper the pork pies were completely tasteless and stale as were the bread rolls and apparently the baked potatoes were luke-warm although I passed on them myself. Several of us wondered if something could be arranged in the hall with professional caterers if required and I did feel sorry for Derek, who did not appear a well man and spent the whole weekend in the kitchen! With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Derek, who did not appear a well man and spent the whole weekend in the kitchen!
I do agree but i get the impression that Derek would not be a happy man at all if he was kicked out of the kitchen Matthew.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:16 pm

MTXM wrote:I generally enjoyed the weekend, although I have to agree with Neil about the evening meal that really was not worth £15. At the risk of sounding like a griper the pork pies were completely tasteless and stale as were the bread rolls and apparently the baked potatoes were luke-warm although I passed on them myself. Several of us wondered if something could be arranged in the hall with professional caterers if required and I did feel sorry for Derek, who did not appear a well man and spent the whole weekend in the kitchen! With regards, Matthew T.

Completely agree Matthew.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Dean wrote:
Derek, who did not appear a well man and spent the whole weekend in the kitchen!
I do agree but i get the impression that Derek would not be a happy man at all if he was kicked out of the kitchen Matthew.

D
True, but there is no way he could cook evening meal for 50 people. I asked him his thoughts and he agreed that would be too much, though I get the impression he likes doing the breakfasts and daytime bit.

I don't think any of the disappointment in the evening meal lies with the event organisers, but it did seem expensive for a buffet.

I think we could have a great night in the pavilion if we hired a cook and pot washer...maybe a BBQ as well.
Prev