French car forum down!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: French car forum down!

Post by CitroJim » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Still no sign of the server coming back up. I called the ISP who cagily admitted the migration "had not gone well" and that delays were occurring. Not likely to see any service before 4PM and I have a feeling he plucked that one from the air.

I did discover the servers are migrating to Germany. The time it's taking them, they must be using snails.

Webfusion are normally very fine Ciaran. They hosted the old server and apart from Plesk and MySQL being damaged (not their fault) the service was rock-solid. It was why I was happy to continue using them. I even find their Helpdesk reasonable most of the time. This problem is one of their own making in undertaking a datacentre move. I'm not having a go at Webfusion or criticising them as I'm sure they have good business reasons to do this but their advance warning was non-existent and for that I will mark them down seriously.

Quite why they have to migrate to Germany though... Still, Germans are renowned for their fast and efficient service so maybe it'll be better when it does (eventually) come back on...

I'm pretty upset about all this and even more upset I cannot even bring a temporary service back until Webfusion sort themselves out.
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:44 pm

The worst possible outcome I'm sorry to say.

Called Webfusion and they were finally candid with me. The migration failed and took with it a whole raft of VPSs (Virtual private Servers) one being ours. All data is lost :twisted: :evil: :( :( :(

I've been offered a new, bare server but it will not be available until Monday.

Meantime, I'm reverting back to the sick servers but it does mean, unfortunately, that all posts made to the new server have been lost. That's two day's worth. Annoying but hopefully not catastrophic.

I'll do all I can to get the FCF and BXC back up but it does mean another migration will have to take place once I have access to the new server and proved it is OK so please (again) bear with me on this.

Webfusion are very sorry and are giving three months free hosting and a better server...

Little consolation.

I've got no hair left and I'm stressed to the limit by this. A very large number of walls have been run around and several ceilings walked across this past couple of days. Pass the tranquilisers please :twisted:

Sorry about this :oops:
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

davetherave
Citrobics expert

Post by davetherave » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:18 pm

Hey Jim its not your fault dont beat yourself up ;)
At least us XM lovers have here to save us from insanity!
(95) 2.1TD XM Exclusive Silver RP: 6951
(87) 2.5td Cx
(01) Gpz500s

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:18 pm

That is truely bad news Jim but im with Dave on this, its not your fault and at least you have only lost 2 days worth of posts, it could be worse!.
everyone will no doubt understand your situation and appreciate all your hard work, it seems the last month has been a busy time for cit forum admins :x

(edit) Peter has used all the tranquilisers sorry :D
Regards
D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Indeed it is Dean :( :cry:

I'm pleased to say the FCF and BXC are back up on an interim, temporary site.

Give the DNS changes a chance to replicate but for UK users they should be there now on the old addresses.

www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum

www.bxclub.co.uk/forum

Two days of posts are lost but what gets posted now will be migrated to the second new webhost.

Again, deepest apologies for the outage.

My email is also working again now. If you sent me anything in the past couple of days, that will have been lost, along with the server.

I'll be posting a full story of the happenings in both forums shortly.
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Ciaran,

Sorry, I have been very remiss not to say a big thank you to you for allowing Club-XM as a channel of communication in these difficult times.
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:23 pm

CitroJim wrote:Ciaran,

Sorry, I have been very remiss not to say a big thank you to you for allowing Club-XM as a channel of communication in these difficult times.
I think cxm members still owe you on that one Jim!
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by minijet » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:21 pm

Dean wrote:

I think cxm members still owe you on that one Jim!
We certainly do.

Sorry to hear about your problems Jim. Hope you're back up and running soon.

Paul

Trainman
XM newbie

Post by Trainman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:27 am

Jim,
A HUGE thanks from me for the hard work, I know how difficult it is when things don't go according to plan, especially when it's "behind the scenes" and I'm sure that everyone here appreciates all that you are doing. keep up the excellent work :D

regards

Steve

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:45 am

Dean wrote:I think cxm members still owe you on that one Jim!
I think Dean has said it all there Jim, we owe you bigstyle for all the times you've extended us the same courtesy. I just wish there was something more we could to to help.
Sounds like you've just been a victim of unfortunate circumstance and mismanagement where Webfusion are concerned. I use them myself for business customers and they've always been very good.

I do wonder why they're moving the servers to Germany too, but at least its there and not India or whatever. Hopefully when the migration is finalised, there won't be any further hassle. I've actually been considering moving this place to there after recent events, but will probably wait until it all dies down...
It does highlight the importance of having your own data backups, despite whatever reassurances they give!

Am glad you have it back on your contingency server...

Ciarán