Mice in the wainscote

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
ash2020
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: Mice in the wainscote

Post by ash2020 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:58 pm

I think this is all pretty shocking! Is there no-one that will take their side? Mice are people too! We're just lucky that we evolved thumbs and tools and LHM so were able to get one step ahead.
I think you should leave some sandwiches in there each night then they wouldn't need to chew the insulation. Also, it's getting cold so I think you ought to at least put a hot water bottle or two in there.
Do the right thing, if it means losing a car or two, what the...
Andrew
(97) XM 2.5TD VSX Green

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:44 pm

:lol: i think when it comes to Dereks beloved V6 the mice come a firm second ;)

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Ken Newbold

Post by Ken Newbold » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:08 am

A few years ago I found some mice nesting in the same place in beloved restored Mk1 BX. This was midwinter and the car had been laid up for a couple of months. I couldn't bear the thought of killing them and I thought if I boot em out they most likely die because of the cold.
On the other hand I though if they chew through the rubber pipes my car's stuffed. :(

So I went out every day and fed them, think they got used to me going out with bread and biscuits :lol: but it did stop them eating my car, then in the spring they disappeared as if by magic and everybody lived happily ever after :oops:

DerekW

Post by DerekW » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:01 pm

My neighbour three doors down gave me some blocks of blue stuff that is supposed to be lethal for the little blighters. Quite sizable, about 3"x1"x1". I put two on the floor under the engine and one in the freshly cleaned spot alongside the near side strut top. I haven't moved the car to check the blocks on the floor but the one under the bonnet has gone and there's a liberal sprinkling of blue mouse droppings in the area. I have one block left, perhaps I'd better put it under the bonnet in case they've developed a taste for the stuff.

I also have my electronic deterrent permanently plugged in and pointed at the underbonnet area with the bonnet up, It wouldn't surprise me if they were dancing to the beat.

Derek
2000 V6 Exclusive, black. RP 8362
2004 C3 Exclusive Sensodrive,the wife's. She doesn't like it.
1995 ZX 1.8 auto, the latest replacement, she loves ZX's. Peace at last.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi Derek,

Hopefully you find the remains of your furry friends, or avoid using the car for a few weeks. Dead mouse isn't the nicest odour out there.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic