B****y Belts !!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
onthecut
Citrobics expert

B****y Belts !!

Post by onthecut » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:58 am

Still grumpy from my mechanical disaster last weekend, when, next thing -- no. 1 daughter comes in saying her 306 is making an odd noise. Lift the lid -- there's the serpentine belt getting shaved away and off the power steering pump pulley. Sure enough, look at the auto tensioner and hey presto --- it's running at an angle -- just like the pile of junk we all have on the air con 2.5s. It's not the same piece, but has exactly the same fault -- it obviously wears on its pivot shaft and then the spring puts it at an angle which starts to push the belt off. Naturally it's fitted in such a position you have to drop the engine to change it -- after all, where would the challenge be, otherwise !
Looking at the lad's 307 HDi, they have significantly altered and improved the tensioner design --- it's constructed such that it can't run off square under spring pressure and, ironically, is much easier to get at and would be readily removable in situ, if required.

Mike.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: B****y Belts !!

Post by citroenxm » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:28 pm

Its ALL the same as Xantias!! Over on FCF theres a few people who have experianced they wonky STUPID weak auto tensioners, that split the aux belts then it wraps itself around the bottom pully, then it jams the cam belts and then the pistons HIT THE VALVES :o :o :shock:

Looks like you caught it in the nick of time!

And Yes the HDi has a much more improoved setup, unfortunally, when I swapped the Air Con from the Series 2 car to my Series 1 Xantia, I couldn't use the HDi tensioner... and had to use the CRAPPY auto tensioner....

Will be keeping a close eye on it..

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

colinxm
Has changed a sphere or two

Re: B****y Belts !!

Post by colinxm » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Belts ? don't talk to me about belts ! :o :shock: :x :oops: :cry:

Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate - deceased :-(
2004 Opel Vectra Estate