Hill Starts in XMs!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Re: Hill Starts in XMs!

Post by citroenmad » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:41 am

No i dont live too close to Newcastle, i actually live in Hartlepool which is a bit below Durham in fact, but i drive up to Newcastle most week days. The joys of commuting! :|

I didnt know you were originally from up here Andrew, what made the change to Wales happen?

Hey, there are hills around here :lol: Not very many big ones though!

I have thought of a rubber stop, in fact on the first Xm i thought it must have been missing :lol: Doesnt bother me too much, its how it was designed to be used i guess.

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:52 am

My parents both worked and met in the (in)famous Government National Insurance/Revenue ministry
buildings at Benton many moons ago and moved down to this godforsaken corner of the world to work
at the then newly built DVLC as it was (another notorious government building) now DVLA. :roll: :lol:
Funnily enough, I work a few 1000 yards away from the original towerblock DVLA today even though
I have nothing to do with the agency.

The only flat surface around these parts more than a few 100 square yards is the beach when the tide
goes out!! :lol:

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ash2020
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by ash2020 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:10 pm

Hey Chris & Andrew, what a coincidence, I'm also from those parts, born in Sunderland and brought up in Gosforth, North of Ncle. You don't think there's some connection between northern ways and the liking of French styling do you?
Cheers
Andrew
(97) XM 2.5TD VSX Green

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:40 pm

It's probably down to the fabulous Northumberland countryside with roads that really suit
sprited yet comfortable Xm'ing. And of course the need to blat about large swathes of the
motorway network to get anywhere else means their effortless cruising ability suits the
geography well? :D

Or is it, Northern lads have a keen eye for a bargain? :lol:

Andrew

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi All

Am I right that LHD manual XM's do not suffer the footbrake abortion imposed on us RHD manual freaks.
Where is the foot brake pedal positioned on a LHD car, to the right of the accelerator?

John

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Its operated by the left foot as well as far as I know.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by jorgy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:49 pm

Yep, footbrake and handlever are situated on your left on a LHD, left from the clutch.

From the begining I found the XM setup much more practical than a traditional handbrake; I use it all the time on steep hills; I usually have already disengaged gear before totally stopping, and smoothly bring the car to a halt with the footbrake. It's just too easy to set off when light turns green, just pull the lever with your left hand while your right hand deals with putting 1st -and vice versa on a RHD. I'm so surprised people are annoyed at the bang, would've never had thought it's an issue -I wonder what Citroen had in mind. It's a bit comic in a standard car when, on setting off, you quickly have to put 1st and then asap release the handbrake, all with the same hand; also, it's just *so* easier for a human to use the footbrake as legs are much stronger than arms; especially if the hill is very steep u might almost need 2 arms to release the handbrake, especially ladies!

Whenever I ocassionaly have to drive a standard car, I initially spend some time looking for the footbrake! (same happens with not having DIRAVI: You get so used for the steering to returning to centre on its own, and feels weird when manoeuvering to park another car -I have to do twice number of movements!)

The DIRAVI'd XMs also have an extra accumulator sphere especially reserved for the brakes.

cheers
George
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k

XMX
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by XMX » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:21 pm

robert_e_smart wrote:Its operated by the left foot as well as far as I know.
Correct :!:
This can just be seen under the lower dash panel showing how to get to the heater flap/motor servo's as fitted to a LHD manual XM in this LINK to the 'citroen-ds-id.com' site, when opened you have to go into the L/H column then select :- Citroen XM,Technical Data,Heating System to open the page up (as I could not put a direct link to the page for some reason) :roll:
jorgy wrote:Yep, footbrake and handlever are situated on your left on a LHD, left from the clutch.
I'm so surprised people are annoyed at the bang, would've never had thought it's an issue -I wonder what Citroen had in mind.
cheers
George
I hate that being done to my XM especially when its in for an MOT :evil:
There's NO need for it ! I always apply my left foot to the foot-lever/brake to take the 'Strain' before I release the hand-lever thus eliminating 'The Bang' and I've evened mastered this on an uphill starts say at Traffic lights with no roll back problem even with another vehicle behind (So long as its not ridiculously too close behind) all you have to do is a bit of 'Toe and heel' between the foot-brake and accelerator with your right foot whilst releasing the foot-lever/brake before moving to the clutch pedal with the left foot prior to engagingly first gear ;)
If you keep releasing the foot-lever/brake mechanism with 'A bang' you will run the risk of wearing and shearing the pivot/clevis pin which the lever pivots on, which is of a relative small cross-section in diameter and it will thus shear eventually with this type of abuse, as it did on one of my brothers XM S1's a while ago and to replace the pin is not a easy/straight foreword job :!:
An XM if for life, (Not just for Christmas) !

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm struggling to understand or accept that releasing an Xm foot lever that's spring loaded is any different to a
conventional sprung handbrake. The bang that seems to irritate/upset some people is the foot lever bracket
landing against it's stop in a manner deemed acceptable by Citroen's design engineers and in the load of s1's
I've got of varying mileages, not one has had a handbrake pedal failure other than a snapped primary release
cable with my driving this method.

I realise this could be argued as a rare problem as only a minority of cars were manual with the lock up
of park on an auto making the handbrake largely redundant. That said, all manner of fancy footwork seems
unnecessary and even potentially dangerous; I've shocked myself in the past with smooth soled shoes on wet
pedals slipping with abrupt releasing of a brake/clutch pedal.

Andrew

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:38 pm

I've never really thought about it, I suppose I just take my foot off the brake and on to the accelerator - very quickly - not really had a problem with it. There does seem to be a slight lag before the brakes come off, that must help.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset