My Prestige, is this the end my friend.?

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
drtim
Knows how to use the parking brake

My Prestige, is this the end my friend.?

Post by drtim » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:27 pm

It needs an alternator too otherwise I'd have moved it from that corner, drove fabulously last time I took it out but came back with a flat battery. Insurance and tax due 1 Sep. MOT OK till early Jan and there is a SLIM chance I can sort out my precarious and totally unique financial position in the next few weeks and manage to avoid scrapping it.

Its gonna need a new spoiler as a minimum. Tailgate too maybe, what do you reckon? Both real panels have been damaged by the spoiler crunching into them, but I'm not TOO bothered about that.

Comet van (even the drivers admitted it is too large for the narrow streets here but their pleas to management fall on deaf ears apparently) slammed into it while reversing at quite a clap (luckily I and a friend heard it from my front room 20 yards up the road, and it was a LOUD bang). I'm still trying to work out exactly how they did it. They seemed genuine enough, but I can't fully discount some element of maliciousness.

Can't start it up at present due to flat battery and I have leant my battery pack to a mate (man, that was almost 2 months ago and I thought only for a few days while he got a new battery and it is not the first time that has happened with various things including my VSX last summer but he is a good mate). All the impact seems to have been on the spoiler and upper tailgate. Will it have damaged the rear suspension/subframe? Boot opened and closed OK, but a few bits of plastic fell off.

Shall I get my insurers (NIG) deal with theirs? I think I will but am interested in opinions. Is it even worth bothering with claiming? Only if I'll get considerably more than scrap value I think It is insured for £500 with NIG I think, but I'm not sure quite what what means really.

Happy XM'ing all.
XM 2.0i Prestige (Red) 1992 K reg RP 5692 RIP
XM 2.0i Turbo Ct VSX (blue) 1996 R Reg RP CJ 7135

andmcit
XM Guru

Re: My Prestige, is this the end my friend.?

Post by andmcit » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:48 pm

If the glass had been broken it may well be a scrap candidate, though the bruise it's wearing at the moment
isn't life threatening and only irritates you when you look at it - I know all about how unwanted dents scratches
and dinks marr the appearance of an otherwise perfect car which I had no hand in inflicting myself but I'm
damned if they'll scrap the car. :evil: :(

More important to sort out on the list of jobs is the alternator!! ebay beckons - there's that fella breaking a
2.0i in Scotland isn't there though new one's are quite cheap if you cross reference other Cit/pug models.

I may have a spare "prestige" panel if you're desperate but again - speak to this seller fella on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-Citroen-XM1- ... 1|294%3A50

This is a turbo one so I'm not certain if it's any use or not - ought to know but I'm tirerd!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-CITROEN-A ... 1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-FIAT-PEUG ... 2|294%3A50

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drtim

Post by drtim » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanks for the heard up Andrew, yes I was quite relieved eventually that the glass doesn't seem to have been touched, except buy the fibre glass dust from the spoiler. It is wearing plenty of other battle scars already, you can see the rear o/s bumper in the pic too.

Re alternator I am not really confident to tackle all the belts stuff myself so it'll have to be the trusty idies I think. Still not 100% sure its not just the battery and that car has had 3 alternators since 2001 already, but it probably is the alternator really. Seems to be OK when cold, nearl;y 14V anyway, but voltage drops quite dramatically when warming up.

The links you posted for new ones are all to recent I think (it is a 92 2.0i 8V I believe) but the indies will probably fit a cheap once for me if I can find one and I might go that route if it can save me a reasonable amount but I am currently focussed on keeping it legal (tax and insurance due 1 Sep, they won't do monthly payments on that policy but I really don't want to change policy). I have nowhere nearby to offroad it.

Isn't life fun.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi DrTim

Easy cosmetic repair. Fit two spoilers. A replacement Mk1 one and a Mk2 one over the dent. Job done.
Looks fine some one had both types fitted to their Mk2 and posted photos a while ago.

Sort out the altenator for now. For the accident damage claim direct against Comets insurers looking for repair costs.
Quickly get a couple of estimates and submit copies to them stating that you are willing to accept the lower sum plus your costs in prompt settlement.
Tell them that you have had the car professionally examined and that it remains safe to use pending repairs.

That damage looks like somewhere between £800 and £1000 to me.

John

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:49 am

They ran into it and damaged in, and it is now their responsibility to either bring the car back to pre-crash condition, or compensate you accordingly. Low market value of the car is irrelevant. You have no need (and would probably be better not) to involve your insurers, rather dealing with Comet/their insurers directly. Personally I'd be pushing for them to repair the damage and bring the car to pre-crash state (which despite the flannel and lies they will inevitably give you, you are entitled to receive) *or* give you a considerable crash settlement (ITRO £500 should be possible) and allowing you to keep the car. Then, with a secondhand tailgate you will be quids in.

Be aware however that in order to get there you will inevitably have to give them lots of hassle and quote the law at them if you are not to receive a derisory offer and perhaps not even get to keep you own car. (As this is not your accident and it is not your insurance company they have neither the obligation nor right to take the car off you).
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

drtim

Post by drtim » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:05 am

xmexec and jonathan, very interesting, i will ponder some more. I can see that the alternator is gonna need doing sooner rather than later though and I'd better get the indies to check out the rear end too I suppose. The body shop next door though (which I have used several times with the Prestige in the past) wouldn''t even quote me for parts for the VSX last time I tried them, only labour. Will the dealers do a quote I wonder?

drtim

Post by drtim » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:08 am

jonathan_dyane wrote: Be aware however that in order to get there you will inevitably have to give them lots of hassle and quote the law at them if you are not to receive a derisory offer and perhaps not even get to keep you own car. (As this is not your accident and it is not your insurance company they have neither the obligation nor right to take the car off you).
So will I need a lawyer? I am not great at this stuff and I really have no clue how to even start finding out, although I am sure some judicious googling might be informative rather than misleading eventually.

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:11 am

You could ask them for a labour and paint quote, then ask Citroen for a print out of the cost of the necessary panels.

On the alternator, it's worth popping the brush box off for a look-see, it may just be the case that the brusher or worn, if so you can replace them individually (a fiddle) or fit a new brush box/regulator assy (far cheaper than a recon).
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:01 am

Hi DrTim

All you need is to be methodical and create paper records to support your claim.
I assume from your posting that you have an admission of liability from the Comet driver and their insurance details.
If not follow this up with the local Comet Branch Manager.
Then set about sorting the car.
For example pay a MoT examiner to check and write you a note confirming the vehicle remains fit for road use.
This cost then becomes a claimable expense over and above any value set on the car or the repairs
It is a cherished and much loved car so ask a local Citroen dealer that does repairs for a written quote.
Get at least a second quote from a local source that you would be happy to get to do the work.

John

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:17 am

Hiar Tim

Everyone seems to have good sound advise so i wont add other than to say im sorry to hear of the ding :( .
It does sound like battery terminals rather than alternator though Tim especialy since you have had a few replaced, its £4 for battery terminals from halfords, i am 80% sure this is what it is from your discription.

Good luck

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory