Last-minute mag help needed!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
onthecut
Citrobics expert

Re: Last-minute mag help needed!

Post by onthecut » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:17 am

Hi Guys

I think it will be fascinating to see just what they do finally print. Unlike many of the so called 'classic' cars that get written about, you do still have a better than even chance of sourcing most XM parts and you wind up with a genuinely usable every day for serious work car. On the other hand, the number and depth of threads on this and the old forum do show the other side of ownership and anyone thinking in terms of Morris Minor 'classic', or similar is likely to be in for a shock if they suddenly rush for an XM.
In broader terms, it makes me laugh, looking through the Ebay 'classic cars' sometimes, when you see people listing things like Astras and Cavaliers (and no doubt the same applies for other marques). They're not 'classic' -- mostly they are just dismal and boring. To me there is a huge distinction between 'classic' and old models that simply happen to be around. I think there are only a handful of cars that are truly classic (and the XM isn't one of them ). My all time top five, in no particular order === DS, 2CV, Land Rover, Mini, (the proper one !) E Type.

Mike.

James Page
XM newbie

Post by James Page » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Hello again all,

Thanks for all the input. Our editor has owned two XMs, so we're firmly of the opinion that they're emerging classics. He talks highly of the diesel engines. At the time, French diesels were light years ahead of everyone else in terms of refinement. I can remember driving a Ford diesel in the mid-90s, when it was fairly new, and it sounded and felt like an agricultural vehicle.

I've tried to make the point that the XM's range of engines means there's something for most tastes, and also that the ride comfort doesn't come at the expense of the handling. One of our regular contributors owns a BX, and he's said in the mag in the past that Citroen suspension isn't as complicated as people fear.

Hopefully it'll be a fair representation of the car. Like I say, we're all fans of it so it should be!

James

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Anything to break up the monotony of articles/pictures showing the usual suspects; MG this, Triumph that,
Jaguar the other... :roll:

I realise 70's & 80'S Citroens dissolve in the wet as fast as a Lancia Beta, but survivors still regularly appear on
ebay in the hands of people without even a remote inkling of the rarity and the engineering marvels they posses.
The truly astounding GS HAS to be the best design for it's market niche and price for decades - sure which car hasn't
had flaws and compromises built in but this car was a remarkably single minded uncompromising car from the ground up
- few cars at the price could match it for years after it's release in 1971

OK, OK I'm biased as much as the next man is about Minis or Beetles, etc etc, yet the only Citroens that seem to appear
in any of the Classic car mags radar are the DS, Traction and occasional sightings of Sm's. What about more than a passing
mention on the beautifully ugly Citroen Ami, massively undervalued GS or truly superb CX?

Andrew

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:44 pm

I drove a Morris Minor a few weeks ago, which left me thinking 'did I seriously used to own one of these?'

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:32 pm

Wow, I can't believe I missed this!
(Turns out my XMs have had plenty to keep me busy this week...)

Moving on though, I can't wait to see whats printed. Thanks for coming and introducing yourself James, I see you've already been well taken care of, and I daresay Peter wouldn't steer anyone wrong for a balanced opinon on XM ownership! :)

I do agree with Andrew, its very hard to sum up XMs, and owning them, into just 75 words, I could go on for a week about it, as could most people here...

Can't wait to see the magazine article :D If you need anything else please just ask :)

Ciarán

ThwartedEfforts
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by ThwartedEfforts » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:30 pm

I do like to think I'm the best advert for Citroens yet: having come from a long line of Bentleys, 7-Series and S-Class, I'm now happiest sat in the comfy seats of an XM. It delivers the same experience (ie seats five adults in air suspended calm) and all for the cost of two new tyres on the Benz.

No lease to pay, no £400 road licence each year, no triple digit service bills, so my money is in the bank and no longer in the bloody car. Plus people stop to let you out of junctions. Once you get over yourself and understand that it really doesn't matter what everyone else thinks - that's the hardest part for brand-obsessed Britain - it really is the perfect vehicle.

An XM is the car your friends scoff at until you take them out in it!

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:57 pm

A copy of 'Classics Monthly' landed on my doormat this morning, very good plug for both the XM and the forum!

Peter

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi Peter,

Fantastic! Can the mag be bought in newsagents etc, or is it mail order only?
What's on the front cover, I may have to go and look for a copy after dinner :)

Can't wait to see this :D

Ciarán

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:08 pm

ooh ooh what did it say????? i forgot all about it!
Whats fame like then Peter? have you been stopped in the street yet? any autograph requests :lol:

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Ciran

It has a green TR2 on the cover and I think you can buy it in the newsagents.

Dean

:D I think they have used about 2% of my contribution - serves me right for not reading it properly, plenty of other info though. I used to be a fairly regular contributer to a TV technical mag and they used to publish all of that. :cry: :D

Peter