Last-minute mag help needed!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
James Page
XM newbie

Last-minute mag help needed!

Post by James Page » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:20 am

Hello,

I work for Classics Monthly magazine, and we're putting together a single-page guide to the XM. As part of that, we thought it would be good to get the views of an XM owner.

If anyone could put together 75 words on how long they've owned their XM, high / low points of ownership, and what attracted them to the XM, I'd really appreciate it. I'll obviously make sure this forum is mentioned within the article.

Unfortunately, due to a slight lack of organisation on my part, I'd need something within the next couple of days! My email address is james.page@futurenet.com.

Thanks in advance.

James Page
Deputy Editor
Classics Monthly magazine

andmcit
XM Guru

Re: Last-minute mag help needed!

Post by andmcit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:22 am

I'm sure most folk here could probably do 750 words for you - know I could... :roll: :lol:

I can pop through some thoughts for you as I own pretty much one of all the flavours!! :o :?

Andrew

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:53 am

If you need a second opinion. :D
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

James Page
XM newbie

Post by James Page » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:59 am

Wow - thanks for the quick responses!

Andrew - if you could pop something together, that would be fantastic. Feel free to also email over a picture of one of your fleet. Peter - thanks very much for the offer. It would be good to get your thoughts as well - all help gratefully received.

Thanks again for you help.

James

James Page
XM newbie

Post by James Page » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:31 pm

I can't remember ever getting a faster response from a forum. I've just had an email from Peter Nutkins with all the info I need!

Thanks very much to you all.

Our editor once owned an XM and has always regretted selling it. Peter talks very highly of the diesel versions, but I've always had a weakness for the V6, although I understand they're a bit on the thirsty side...

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by jorgy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:36 pm

James,

That's my opinion, feel free to use it. 104 words, couldn't do less!!!!

My 3lt 12v V6 XM is my first hydropneumatic car. I didn’t think any high of Citroen; I bought it because 1/I wanted to finally see for myself if the legendary ride was true, or an exaggeration, and 2/because, otherwise, it’s a very good package-. 5 years later, I’m hooked. To the point that when I drive cars with springs I think “that’s a shame!”. Had to repair the suspension and learning was a steep curve, but they are not as complicated as they are reputed to be. Another misconception of the public is they only are “comfortable cars”: their handling is excellent too.

cheers
George
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Wow a spot in classic monthly!! i will have to get a copy of that, and some people said the XM would never be a classic :shock: its ascent may be starting already.
I would have writen a little something but it seems you are well sorted now and mine is modified anyway so maybe not quite what your after.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:15 pm

I feel a bit embarrased about this :oops: Andrew was the first to reply, it just so happened that being retired I am a frequent visitor to the computer and had time this afternoon to rattle off a few lines, so I hope I havn't offended anyone.

Peter

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:39 pm

Don't worry Peter - damned if I could get everything I could say about Xm ownership into 75 words!!

What did you say? 2.1's rule!! Even better if they're the more reliable series 2 and happen to be estates!?
Will do Galactic mileages and yet still get 50+ mpg! :lol: 8-)

From my "owner's viewpoint", I do own or have driven practically every variant excepting a 16v petrol and the Xm
equivalent of my v6 24v Xantia and have to say the one that is the LEAST hassle and is so easy to live with is a
base spec 2.0i petrol manual without a cat!! Yes, I love the 2.5TD for it's gutsy engine and light clutch and would
go for the petrol V6's (especially the 24v) every time if my heart ruled my head. That said, as a good intro to Xm
ownership I'd say keep it straightforward and avoid autoboxes and ABS - at the end of the day, what do we spend
the most time talking about here on the forum!!!??? I only say this as whilst the v6's are bombproof (and Andrewproof
too) they never came without ABS and are only worth getting in manual anyhow when talking about mpg so that
means there's only about half a dozen still at large out there anyway!!

When magazines do start saying these are great cars and worth rescuing and a worthy car in their own right,
rather than a "thrash it over the winter and use the Midget in the Summer months" the reality may well be there
won't be many left to bother with now anyway.

Personal highlights? That would be rescuing every one of these great cars from numpties about to scrap them due to
ignorance, especially my 24v v6 s1 as a perfect case in point!! The lowpoint, the self combusting 2.0i that damn near
took me with it - neither would be good comments to mention to prospective new Xm owners!! :?

Andrew

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi Andrew

Well I didn't, I only noticed the bit about 75 words afterwards, more :oops: . I dare say he will take the bits out he wants. Yes it was a bit biased as although I have driven other variants its not been for very long, but much of what I said was general to all XM's. Apologies again, I didn't mean to hyjack your offer.

Peter