Hit and run

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Hit and run

Post by Ciaran » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi guys.

Well, the recently acquired green SX was the victim of a hit and run in a city steet tonight. Damage not too bad, just broken sidelight and numberplate.

It was done by a man and woman in a nice black Range Rover Sport with a custom numberplate.
The woman got out and was guiding the guy into the space. She guided him so well that he crashed into the front of the XM. She surveyed the damage in horror for a second, then ran back round, jumped in the passenger side, and they sped off. They then had the audacity to return to the same street 10 minutes later, park on the other side of the road like nothing happened, and then skip off for dinner at a nearby restaraunt.

Unfortunately for them (and the reason I know all this), is that the entire thing was witnessed by a very helpful taxi driver, who immediately reported it to the police, and then left a note on the windscreen.
We rang the feds ourselves later, they were very interested, were aware of the earlier report by the taxi driver, and said they were off to knock on the registered owner's door, so should hear more tomorrow.

I won't be worried about claiming on insurance for such trivial damage, as unfortunately it would also affect my premiums even though it was them, but I would very much like to see them prosecuted, just for the sheer disregard and 'only an old car, doesn't matter' attitude they displayed...

Ciarán

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Re: Hit and run

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:45 am

What utter wankers live on this planet.

Hopefully they are repremanded and pay for the damage.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:55 am

Well the police reckon they have them bang to rights, I dunno if they owned up or what, but if I was them I'd think very carefully before lying about it, unless they want to get slapped with perjury as well, as there's an independant witness, on a public street, with CCTV etc...

I believe the penalty for failure to remain / leaving the scene of an accident is 4 points and a fine.

Sorry but I just have to point and say

[youtube]TX3UqY8KZpU[/youtube]

bitonthesidexm
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by bitonthesidexm » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:47 am

Don't bother with the Police - just get a tin of Nitromors!
1994 XM Turbo Onyx in black.

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:58 am

Even though you describe the damage as not being too bad, the new numberplate entails hassles proving you're
permitted to have one made and they're not that cheap these days and the sidelight can have a ballpark from
£5 to £60 dependent on where you shop and buy new/used etc so YOU have every right to be hard done by being
out of pocket; this doesn't allow for additional damage to the nosecone panel and bumper that may be only
evident on closer inspection.

At least you have a recourse for action with a credible witness and the Police apparently showing an interest.
The driver of the RRSport needs a reality check even though most (if not all I've ever seen) are total idiots
(this is before the 9pm watershed!! ;) ). In the end £50-100 from his wallet should be humbling and leave a
few pains and put you back where you have every right to be before this all started...

Andrew

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:09 am

I am surprised and very gratified to know that the police showed an interest, you have a job to get them to do anything over here.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

steelcityuk
Citrobics expert

Post by steelcityuk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:25 pm

Apart from the obvious what a pair, even working as a tag team they still can't park!

This is one of my main objections to people owning Chelsea tractors, half of them can't drive the bloody things. My way of thinning them out wouldn't be to tax them or legislate them off the road, just make owners take a standard driving test in one, usual stuff like lane control and PARKING....

Hope you get it sorted OK.

Off for a lie down now.

Steve.
XM 2.1 SED K Plate - RP5876
Scenic 1.5 dCi 100
Gone -
Scenic 1.9 dCi 130 FAP
Prius T Spirit
XM S2 TCT Exclusive Hatch LPG
XM S2 2.5 VSX Estate
XM S2 2.1 VSX Hatch
Xantia 110 HDi Exclusive
Pug 405 GTX TD

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:33 pm

My views are similar. They are about twice the weight of an XM, use twice as much fuel and have no more room than an XM estate and certainly don't ride as well. The only advantage I can see is the improved vision due to their height - but you could put bigger wheels on you XM :D

I can understand the farmers using them but if you meet one in the lanes round here, you have to drive off onto the grass because they dont want to get their wheels dirty. :x

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

lolingram
Can find the S1 radio

Post by lolingram » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:51 am

What utter wankers live on this planet.

Hopefully they are repremanded and pay for the damage.
The good ones are in the minority.... sadly

ThwartedEfforts
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by ThwartedEfforts » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:37 am

Kind of reinforces the old joke about Range Rovers and hedgehogs, doesn't it.

Nasty cars. Basically some shitty Discovery in a party frock, that's all.