Which Snow Chains/ Socks?

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
chillmax
Knows how to use the parking brake

Which Snow Chains/ Socks?

Post by chillmax » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi All

I think I'm going to get some, I've always wanted a set, but didn't think they'd get any use, I know you've gotta be careful with them & the roads, but I think they're handy; I also live next to a steep hill going up to 500ft ASL, so I really could do with the help.

SO - what's the best set for us? I'm on a V6 Hatch, with P6000's.

Cheers - Justin

PS - Anybody seen Snow Socks in action, any good? Seem to be fabric instead of chains to avoid road damage.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Re: Which Snow Chains/ Socks?

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Justin,

You're better going full hog and getting proper winter tyres.

I run a set of Michelin Primacy Alpins on mine, and they are really worth the investment. The grip on snow and ice is much much better than with summer tyres that we normally use in the UK. The rubber compund is more flexible than on standrd tyres. These work with the small incisions you see on the rubber blocks that make up the tyre surface. They flex and bend to give better grip in the ice and snow. The evacuation channels are also larger too, great in the wet. The stopping distances are much better with them when the surface temperature is less than 7 C. They are good in the dry as well, no real difference. The only downside is they are a bit noisier than summer tyres, but you get used to it. It is imperative that you fit a set of 4, the back end needs grip too.

In this recent cold snap, I have had no problems on untreated roads. The car just grips so well, it will skid and slip if you are going too hard for conditions or provoke it.

1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

chillmax

Post by chillmax » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Hi Robert

Thanks for that; I did look at those for the 24v I had recently, but didn't quite get there before the car went to a new owner ;-)

I do like to have Miches when I can, but it's not at the top of my list right at the moment as the P6000's on her have only done about 5k miles (maybe not even that). Also I wouldn't want anymore road noise, I know you get used to anything, but this ones' noisier than she should be, so I've got that to sort too; sounds like a break in the exhaust pipe!! Always something to do, even on a 29k car ;-))

Cheers- JJ

chillmax

Post by chillmax » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:27 pm

chillmax

Post by chillmax » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:00 am

chillmax wrote:These look the business

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/26 ... 3.html#top
In fact I've just bought them, I'll let you know how I get on!

JJ

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:01 am

Never seen ones like that before.

Good luck with them. The other pain with the winter tyres, is sourcing another set of rims to put them on, and storing them when they're not in use during the summer. but you should get 4/5 seasons out of them depending on how much driving you do, and your summer set last twice as long too.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

robertmnorton
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by robertmnorton » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi all,in all my driving years in the highlands i have only had to resort to fitting the chains a dozen or so times,even back in the early 70's when the winters were longer and tyre technology was not as it is today,i never had a problem driving through snow and ice.The problem with fitting chains is that you must remove them whenever you encounter cleared roads,it's the law,it's also dangerous. I would agree that winter tyre fitment is the best option,but i still always carry the chains and shovel.The xm's over the past 13 years have proven to be a commendable car in the snow.The ability to raise the body off the deep snow is the greatest asset,allowing the driving wheels to get on with finding traction.
robertm