How many left?

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Charles M
Citrobics expert

Re: How many left?

Post by Charles M » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:47 am

It was interesting when I visited Renard in Holland that they were completely restoring a DS for someone who wished to use it daily. Apart from a money no object re-build (the paint job was about 14,000 euro alone), Nard was putting in a modern electronic engine management system (including injectors from a CX - they fit) so that it could be mapped to be fuel efficient and more usable. Apart from safety, I suspect this might be a route for the long term, as I get depressed looking at what is available now.

Gold Citroen SM 1972

Also in the garage

Allard M1 drophead 1949
Mercedes 190e 2.5 16 Cosworth 1989
Range Rover Classic 300tdi 1994

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:25 am

Don't get depressed, you've got an SM!!!!!:) Not to mention an Allard M1 drophead 1949, guys I had to google that one, FANTASTIC! Have a look and correct me when I am wrong:

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=383007

And now a blue mauritius XM 2.1 TD, my favourite car at the moment, I would say HAPPY DAYS!! I drove a Merc 210 S320 for a year or two, it wasn't bad, I didn't dislike it. Gone now, being melted into something nicer I hope..

Charles M
Citrobics expert

Post by Charles M » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 am

The ownership of an SM is in itself a cause for depression - you drive it, and you don't get the joy of seeing it on the road!

My Allard is similar to the one above (although that one has hideous modern wheels on it). The money I've spent on it though is hideous (new engine x2, new gearbox, new brake cylinder, new tyres, now new wheel bearing required).

Neither car solves my need for something exquisitely comfortable to drive daily, so the XM has a lot to live up to!

Gold Citroen SM 1972

Also in the garage

Allard M1 drophead 1949

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:07 am

Maybe you should have started with a V6, not that I know anything about them but others do and I do believe them!
I went for the 2.1 for it's economy, the blue colour and (sorry) the sun roof. It's my wife's fault but she does not mind me mentioning this, she got me to buy an XM. I never ever looked at them! Not for the speed since my commute doesn't really acquire speed. It's OK though, like it a lot. Quite reliable too up till now! SM's need a lot of looking after, I know that and it's not a simple DIY-er.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:11 am

The masertai engine is a 70s quad cam engine.. ive heard of head issues..

The prv is also a 70s engine but single cam but i beleve the 12v engine could be a bit more reliable then the sm engine.. but im not quoting or want to be quoted either. My experiance wih the prv is brilliant.
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Charles M
Citrobics expert

Post by Charles M » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:13 am

Diesel is the default option for my daily driver as I travel a lot. I'd have to convert a V6 to LPG to make it work for me, and then the economics don't.
Gold Citroen SM 1972

Also in the garage

Allard M1 drophead 1949

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 am

True, that's why the diesel is a good choice. I know of examples with astronomical miles on it, better than any SM's or Xantia's or even 2cv's. So it's a good choice that 2.1 TD. Too bad diesel is more expensive than petrol in the UK....it is not in Ireland at the moment. I travel a lot and so does my wife..she now takes the Diesel when I am off work, just to save on fuel. So far so good.

Charles M
Citrobics expert

Post by Charles M » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:36 am

citroenxm wrote:The masertai engine is a 70s quad cam engine.. ive heard of head issues..

The prv is also a 70s engine but single cam but i beleve the 12v engine could be a bit more reliable then the sm engine.. but im not quoting or want to be quoted either. My experiance wih the prv is brilliant.
There are many legends about the SM engine, many scarily true, but at heart it is a Maserati engine that sings and loves life, and in the correct state of tune is a joy. However, I am not buying an XM to replace my SM, which will continue to be driven sparingly, I am buying it to replace my Merc as a runaround. A petrol V6 however good is not a substitute for a comfortable, economical, diesel mile muncher. In time I may replace my Cosworth 190 2.5 Merc with a petrol XM, but not in the short term!
Gold Citroen SM 1972

Also in the garage

Allard M1 drophead 1949

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:42 pm

Of course not Sir, why would you replace an SM if you were lucky enough to have one.

Im not an SM fan hand on heart, but the same with the DS.. would you replace one with something a bit newer. I doubt it.. These two examples would save you more money with appriciation then a high interest bank account which is great for those who bought them when they were cheap, but try getting one now! Im always looking, and scared at the DS prices for even dogs.. HOWEVER, I wouldn't be scared of any welding etc on them... Its just affording the car in the first place!
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

marc61
Citrobics expert

Post by marc61 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Agree with that. DS and SM prices are ridiculous now and parts prices have gone up alot in recent years too, which isnt because of scarcity as virtually everything on the DS is available remanufactured. If you've got one you tend to end up adding to the fleet rather than selling it, dont I know it :roll: I bought my D for £600 many many years ago and have had the pleasure and displeasure of mending it, improving it and paying for new metal to be welded in and paint to slapped on at regular intervals etc. All good experience but its difficult to do that now because even rough ones go for thousands not hundreds!

As for the SM it's mainly about the engine and the 2-turns diravi! Once someone has done the heads and replaced the sodium filled valves, its just a case of keeping the secondary chains tight and pulling the engine out every 60 or 70 thousand to do the primary chain and water pump. And pulling the engine out is easier than an XM 2.5 for sure. Everything else is more accessible than on the DS apart from the battery, there's no electronics on the carb model, the 3 carbs can be taken off in one go by undoing 2 bolts and the throttle cable, the diravi can be set dead straight by loosening the adjustment bolt near the air filter, the steering rack is above the gearbox and comes off dead easy, the inboard front brake pads and the plugs can be changed in minutes, only 2 bolts hold the front wings on, the accumulator pump and alternator are right out front above the gearbox so dead easy to remove etc etc. A cheap import from the US is a possibility as they don't rust like the D but still cost a few thousand. Meanwhile a decent SM costs an extortionate amount, assuming they actually sell close the asking price.

Think the best motto is get a good XM or CX now as in the future they'll become the DS and SM of today (perhaps).

Cheers

Marc
1987 CX GTi Turbo 2, RHD, Maikonics, Quaife LSD, Cassis Nacre
1972 SM 2.7 carb, Star Garnet Metallic
1972 DS 21EFI, LHD, SM steering, hydractive, Gris Espadon
About 8 XMs, now all deceased