Citsncycles XM

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: Citsncycles XM

Post by CitroJim » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Ummm, nice project Mike... :P I had an S1 AX back in 1990, just an AX11TGE, and I loved it to bits... An excellent car!

An AX GT is even better 8-)

Have fun and keep us posted on progress ;)
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:09 pm

I recognise that AX! Thats who it belongs too... :) Hope the resto goes well Mike, when you get round to it. :D

Good to hear the XM is improving.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

citsncycles
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP 5709 - Turbo SD

Post by citsncycles » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:35 pm

Just bought the AX yesterday Russ. Andy Weston had bought it back in about 2005 to rip the aircon out to go in a GTi he had, but sold the GTi before he got the chance. He pulled it out of the yard a few months back and showed it to me, saying that it would probably go for scrap - he even invited me to sit in it, at which point I discovered I actually fitted (usually I don't fit an AX either due to lack of adjustment of the seat, or lack of headroom due to sun roof)! I managed to talk him out of scrapping it, but it's only been the purchase of a Slough built Big 6 that's pursuaded him to sell. I've always liked the AX, and of course as I have the XM plus various BX's I now have a set of Bertone and Bertone inspired cars.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:55 pm

I see that's the story, best of luck with it. They must be rare now too. I would love to riffle through their pile of cars. They told me they broke an early manual V6 a while ago...so there are 'valuable' parts about....
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

citsncycles

Post by citsncycles » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Put it this way - when trying to work out what to offer them for the AX, I tried to find other Mk1's for sale to give me an idea of what to ask and couldn't find any! I've not checked 'How Many Left' yet, so will do so shortly. The spec makes it rare in any case, as Andy believes it's one of a batch of cars built for Australia that ended up here instead, hence the air con and lack of sun roof. There's a 'Japon' sticker after the GT badge on the back but I've had no luck finding out anything about that yet either!

Their yard is indeed a treasure trove. To my knoweledge there's a DS ambulance, 2 D safaris, a BX 4x4 estate, at least one BX valver, 2 H vans, 2 ripple bonnet AZU's, a Rosalie and a Bijou in there, and that's just a small proportion of what's there! He mentioned something about a 2.1TD XM the other day, which he might use to resurrect the XM estate parked by the gate. There's also several CX's about the place, one of which I've had my eye on for a while as it's a very early base model, which again needs lots of welding.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Mike, it may have been originally destined for the Japanese market and then perhaps an abortive attempt was made to export to the Aussies instead.

The Pug 205 Gentry, a posh wood and leather air-con'd auto powered by the 1.9GTi engine was a cancelled Japanese export order and ended up being sold in this country. Most, if not all, were painted Sorrento Green as far as I recall.

A very rare and desirable 205... Just like your AX.
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

citsncycles

Post by citsncycles » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:40 am

Ah, that makes sense Jim, as all the search results I found kept mentioning Japan - I'll revisit them to see if I learn anything new. The Japanese and Australian car markets do seem to have close ties.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:06 am

That's brilliant, can't remember the last time I saw a 5 door mk 1 ax gt...
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

citsncycles

Post by citsncycles » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:15 pm

A mate of mine had a 5 door carb model in white (this one has Bosch monopoint injection). For whatever reason I couldn't get the seat set so that I could sit in it without being jammed up against the sun roof or steering wheel - both he and his wife are a good 6 inches shorter then me and half my weight so it wasn't a problem for them! Dunno what's different about this one but I seem to fit in it!

Theirs was very low geared, great on B roads but noisy and thirsty on motorways - but that's what the XM's for!
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD

citsncycles

Post by citsncycles » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:16 am

Never been so glad that I've got a tow hitch on the back of my car! Was about pull onto a roundabout last night when I heard rather than felt the car behind drive into me! Got out to find a rather embarrassed bloke and his missus sat in an old Golf. He'd been watching the traffic on the roundabout instead of me (I've done the same once, writing off both my Ami 8 and an Astra estate). Luckily all he'd touched was my hitch, which left a slight mark on his bumper and didn't touch mine. He apologised and we went our separate ways. By the look of his car, I don't think it's the first time he's done it!
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD