Oldest XM in the UK - Now with registration!!

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Re: Oldest XM in the UK (World)!!!

Post by russ92xmsed » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Very interesting. I hope more is unearthed from other countries. Would the conservatoire have any information I wonder.

I still think yours could have been used Matthew. Well put it this way, the first batch of preproduction cars were used for project Daniel. That is extensive testing covering millions of miles. That must have been 1988. Then production would have been started properly earlyish 1989 unless they started making them earlier and stockpiled, but then the orga number would tell you that. Does anyone know the very first orga number?

It's the colour and the amount of cars, and the obvious unknown year in its history that's just pointing to the fact it really could have been used in Monte Carlo.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:06 pm

My guess is that the launch event was mainly attended by dealer staff, and the 1000 cars were quickly distributed to dealerships throughout Europe for use as showroom cars and demonstrators. A showroom car could easily sit on display for a year or more without being registered.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Thing is.. Oldest xm in the UK in LHD im SORRY does NOT count to me! Its NOT a UK car, so to ME does not count as the oldest UK car! Also dont different parts get different release dates, IE: Europe got an earlier release date to the UK?

So, for me. Its Eddie's Gold car that I see as the oldest car SO FAR on the UK!

Sorry, just my beleifs...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:59 pm

I think both are interesting. Yes you can't count it as the UK's oldest XM as it is LHD, but as a model, it is interesting to see if it is the oldest or one of the oldest that exists, well world wide.
Russ

Also

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:04 pm

All early cars are interesting and important to me Paul and I did not mean to suggest my car has any greater significance!! I am generally enthusiastic about the 'original' models. The XM was indeed released in France and elsewhere before the UK. As pointed out by Eddie there are also at least two other older rhd cars to our knowledge. With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

MTXM
Citroen God!

Re: Oldest XM in the World!!!

Post by MTXM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:07 pm

My post crossed with yours Russ and I think we are of one mind on this matter!! I have modified the thread title to avoid further controversy! Regards, Matthew T.

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Lol, its funny how much spirit these cars throw up amongst people isn't it :P

One thing is for certain....Im sure it will turn out to be a stunner Matthew as its in fine xm hands ;) Damn id love a v6 24v :P

I love the press launch video with the meteor grey xms everywhere...mainly because they look just like mine....bar the diesel engine, tired paintwork etc :lol:

Being such an early French v6, didn't it come with steels and wheel trims as seems to be the case in all the press launch articles on the v6? They still look the best wheels IMO...but then I would say that wouldn't I :D

Neil will back me up on that one wont you..... :)

Enjoy the new toy Matthew ;)

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:46 pm

MTXM wrote:My post crossed with yours Russ and I think we are of one mind on this matter!! I have modified the thread title to avoid further controversy! Regards, Matthew T.
:lol: I think so, I am just generally interested in the model as a whole regardless of RHD or LHD. It's all fascinating to me anyway.
Russ

Also

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:18 am

Many thanks for your kind remarks Vince and the cars as Monte Carlo had a mixture of alloys and wheel trims. Here is a link to the launch video for those of you who are interested. The cars actually start to appear around 3.21!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Ya5YqHTKqo
With regards, Matthew T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:02 am

I would tend to agree with xantia_v6 that this car sat in a dealers showroom for a year or so. It would certainly explain the service history.

I saw this car advertised locally and was initially very interested, with it being an early 89 car. But, even with its age and its history, I couldn't get past the fact that it is a left hand drive. The history that has been revealed is interesting and it has gone to a home where it will have the time and money spent on it that it will require. Where I differ is the apparent need to get this car UK registered and on a F plate. IMO the history of this car is where it has been and who has owned it, and the number plate is that history. I feel that the car would have held a lot more interest on its original plate.

I don't know what it is with these cars but alloys only seem to suit on the top models. This car could certainly wear either, provided they are period to the car.

I'm not just in to Citroens but I have a long love affair with Saab, Rover and especially Volvo. I'm even delving in to the BL wedges again. But what is apparent is that calculating the age of a car can be done differently with Citroen than any other marque. With others the age of a car is the registration date, with Citroen we have the option of the ORGA number. When assessing the age of a Citroen do members take the registration date or the ORGA number as its age, as it does make a difference if your car has sat in a field, or a dealers showroom, for a number of months?
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)