The XM at Purbeck Hills viewing area

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
XMBloke
Has changed a sphere or two

The XM at Purbeck Hills viewing area

Post by XMBloke » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:16 am

Just got back from superb week in Dorset. The car performed epically although on some days the auto box had a habit of kicking down at slightest hills. May be time to adjust kickdown cable.

Image[/URL]

Ella, our fourteen and a half year old cross in the XM. She loves this car. Insists on being inside it whenever I work on it.

Image[/URL]
1995 XM 2.1 auto hatchback RP 6717. Sold on for spares or repair.
1992 Rover 216 GTi twincam 16v 130 bhp. Unbreakable mechanicals, bodywork - less so.

2015 - Still waiting for the hover conversion kit but do wear two neckties at same time.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: The XM at Purbeck Hills viewing area

Post by CitroJim » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:01 pm

I wouldn't say Ella was cross - she looks quite happy in the XM...

And she has exquisite taste in cars...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Nice dog! I must say leather is easier to clean from dog fur.. if you need some grey upholstery I have a whole interior about to go to the dump! Nice car but I guess your right fog light isn't working anymore! :)

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm

XMBloke wrote:The car performed epically although on some days the auto box had a habit of kicking down at slightest hills. May be time to adjust kickdown cable.
Maybe not. Check you haven't got slightly binding brakes due to a stiff doseur bellcrank..

Mine had and did exactly that. Feel the front wheels after a run and see how warm they are as a dead-giveaway to binding...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

XMBloke

Post by XMBloke » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:20 am

Cheers, peeps - I'll have a look at the doseur. Re: leather interior - Ella badly scratched our previous XM's black leather interior and the tops of the rear door cards even though she has short claws so as much as I like leather, the cloth is better for those with dogs. Re: the front fogs - two weeks ago I was carrying out big service including fitting replacement nearside indicator unit. Spotted some yellow marker/paint pen on the inside of the front bumper (classic sign of a part from a breakers). Have a feeling the car may have had a slight front end tap at some point or some other damage as there's no front foglight switch (just a blanking plate) but behind it is a cable and socket plus while removing front bumper I spotted cable connectors to front fogs! So looks like I've got a mix and match front trim with one foglight/indicator unit (offside) and one standard indicator with no fog. While the car was in the air I had a really close look at the structure and glad to see no signs of damage so whatever happened in the past must have been limited to the bumper. I think one of the previous owners (the first was a company, the previous was a semi-retired electronics engineer) insisted on parking up with front overhanging high kerbs because there's scuffs and scrapes all along the underside of the bumper/indicator trim. That's something I'm more aware whenever we park up - not to leave front end overhanging kerbs or logs found in some Dorset carparks. Have to say the car handled the twisty roads between Cerne Abbas/Middlemarsh/Dorchester brilliantly when in 'sport' mode. Love it!
1992 Rover 216 GTi twincam 16v 130 bhp. Unbreakable mechanicals, bodywork - less so.

2015 - Still waiting for the hover conversion kit but do wear two neckties at same time.

normantilbury

Post by normantilbury » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:37 am

Hi,
If you are looking for a set of Mkll fog and indicator units? i will be at the national this sunday and will bring them with me.

Norman
98 Xm Vsx 2.1 Td Silver Estate RP 7548
Located in Lindley, Huddersfield HD3 3LX

XMBloke

Post by XMBloke » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:05 pm

normantilbury wrote:Hi,
If you are looking for a set of Mkll fog and indicator units? i will be at the national this sunday and will bring them with me.

Norman
Hi Norman, many thanks for the offer - not had any chance of going to these meetings etc - been busy with work and other projects so desperately trying to catch up with all my forum posts, twitter and youtube messages and comments. Plus my other car a 1992 Rover 216 GTi is desperate for some TLC too. It's a case of too many 'needy' cars and not enough hours. :roll:

Andrew