C.Haddocks SX - ABS

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: C.Haddocks SX - ABS

Post by CitroJim » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:31 pm

1200 ohms seems a bit high to me Jaap. I know S2 Xantia ones are around 1005 ohms and I always thought Xantia S1 ones were around 1080 which is corroborated by the FCF...
captainhaddock wrote: The other one gave '1' in the display of the multimeter which cannot be right.
Nope, definitely not right! That one is open-circuit. maybe a good candidate to see if it has a broken wire...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:36 pm

CitroJim wrote:
My pet theory is that moisture gets into the innards over time through the metal pole pieces on the end of the sensor and this causes the innards to rot...

The last sensor I had fail (in the V6) started playing up after driving through a puddle which lends credence to the theory. Also in practice it's most likely the NSF sensor will fail and that one sees most wet puddles statistically....
It makes sense because they apparently need to be drilled out, being rotten solid into the hub.

Still trying to make 1 from 2 sensors, I will give it a go. Ever since I put Vaseline in the connector, the intermittent fault became a continuous fault.
The wire close to the connector was folded sharply and held with a tie rap.

To be continued!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:50 pm

captainhaddock wrote:@ Jim, my info is that around 1200 ohm should be good...!
The other one gave '1' in the display of the multimeter which cannot be right.
y
1 normally indicates an open circuit or over the resistance of the range selected.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:21 pm

robert_e_smart wrote:The ABS relay Japp, says ATE on it, and I think its on the ABS block or very close to it (don't hold me to that as I have been working on series 1 Xantia ABS earlier this year and it has an ATE relay and its in the fuse box). Only Bendix gave me trouble in the XM.
Haven't found it -yet. Will have a better look tomorrow. Are these ABS blocks still to be found around I wonder.
Did hear about some die hards, who open the black box with a stanley knife and solder all joints inside, when all else fails.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:00 am

The nominal resistance value for XM Teves Mk4 ABS sensors is 1100 Ohms.
Source RTC mods list.
The XM Teves components are all marked ATE.
Teves Mk4 ABS relay is usually found just in front of the air filter.
Coloured dark green as mentioned by Jim.
Citroen also prohibit mixing of XM and Xantia Teves components.
I guess the ABS ECU is the most critical item in this respect.

John

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:09 am

What is your advice John, trying to see if a known working ABX ECU would help, or just change the sensor for a new one. I don't know how to check if the green relais in front of the air filter, is faulty. Which in my case doesn't mention ATE. Don't have a spare one :(