Citroenmad's Citroens

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Re: My 1994 Xm Prestige TCT Auto

Post by robert_e_smart » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Pity you need to order new front and rear mouldings from Citroen to make a proper job of it.

The front one is the cheaper of the 2 - this is taken from series 2 section, trims for cars with headlamp washers are no longer available.

0000745278 ENJOLIV PARE_CH 70,31 GBP 84,37 GBP 84,37 GBP

95656457 ENJOLIVEUR 76,02 GBP 91,22 GBP 91,22 GBP

For series 1 cars
95656456 ENJOLIV PARE_CH 69,91 GBP 83,89 GBP 83,89 GBP

Same rear bumper piece as series 2.

Estate rear trims are not available.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

mds141
Citrobics expert
Orga / RP numbers: 8542

Post by mds141 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:15 pm

Got the new front and rear trims in the garage ready to go on as well. Not cheap, but I get a decent discount from my main Citroen dealer. Once the ICCCR is done and dusted I will divert my attention to the XM. The BX as been the focus of my attention recently, especially before and after the Citroen Classic Challenge.
Mark Smith.

2000 XM VSX 2.1 td auto. Rouge Magenta. RP 8542.
1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine.
1997 Honda Firestorm.

XMX
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by XMX » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:52 am

robert_e_smart wrote:Pity you need to order new front and rear mouldings from Citroen to make a proper job of it.

The front one is the cheaper of the 2 - this is taken from series 2 section, trims for cars with headlamp washers are no longer available.
Robert,That's the better option, if it was the other way round the folks with no headlamp washers would have a real headache with a replacement !

In the past on my VSX I've sourced a good full front trim from a breakers and then removed the trim from the bumper, marked off the three sections (N/S,centre,O/S) and cut to suit !
Basically its just cutting out the section which the headlamp washers take up, Simples !

:idea: Tip when removing the bumper trims from ones with a headlamp washer, just gently hold/lift the washer assembly up from the bumper when in the lower/parked position and support with a suitably sized block of polystyrene to enable better access whilst removing the bumper trim and so as not to damage the all delicate washers covers !

:)

XMX

An XM if for life, (Not just for Christmas) !

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:53 pm

I was thinking of chopping a standard one up for headlamp washer action, but wasn't sure if the mounting clip points on the back would be in the same place. It is a Citroen after all.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi Robert

I seem to remember in the dim and distant past taking the cut and regret option.
I think the cut up Mk1 trim projections did not fit a Mk2 washer fitted front bumper.
Must collect together and sort through the recovered chrome trim one day.

John

XMX
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by XMX » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:34 pm

robert_e_smart wrote:I was thinking of chopping a standard one up for headlamp washer action, but wasn't sure if the mounting clip points on the back would be in the same place. It is a Citroen after all.
Robert, I used a standard full length S2 moulding trim which I cut into three parts (With the removed portions where the washer jets fit) and can confirm that the mounting lug/points are identical and will fit perfectly ;)

John, as Robert has already posted up that the S1/1.5 trims are a different part number (for a reason) to an S2 as the actual bumper length is slight longer on 'Wrap around' length (i.e. the hockey stick section if it was the three piece type) and also that the lug mounting points are in a totally different positions between the two variants !

I hope that the /\ makes sense, before anyone else goes to the trouble/expense of trying it out :?

:)

XMX

An XM if for life, (Not just for Christmas) !

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:35 pm

I recently replaced the front bumper chrome trim on our estate with a brand new one. It was one which was made for cars without headlight washers. As the VSX has them I just removed the old trim and cut the new on to size, its perfect.

I also put on the chrome side strips to the estate too. I have given up trying to remove anything from the original strips before fitting the new ones. If the old ones are pealing off, like some were on the Prestige, then peal them off. If not just stick the new trims to the old ones. Ive done this on 3 XMs now, all with very good results. The stainless trims fit superb using this method and as they are very tight in the trim they stick very easily too.

The chrome side trims on the estate were perfect with no corrosion but they were really dull and no amount or trying wold bring them up to a good standard.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Re: Citroenmad's Citroens

Post by citroenmad » Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 am

I thought I would update this, so here goes.

After doing a swap with Jim for my old XM Prestige and his V6 Xantia, the V6 Xantia was only with me a couple of months before I found a Xantia HDi Exclusive Estate with low miles which was just far too nice to miss. As I still had my C5 at the time one car needed to move out to make space, that one being the V6 Xantia. Its a car I miss quite a bit and I do regret selling it now, however it gave me chance to experience the silky 24v ES9 engine.

Shortly after getting my Xantia Exclusive HDi the headgasket on our 2.1TD XM estate went pop, just as we were trying to sell it on as it rarely got used. So that was sold on pretty cheaply to Savoy, who fixed it up and moved it on. Which was a result as at the time we didn't want the hassle of doing it but that would have made better sense financially.

A month or two later I was after a bit of a project and something non-Citroen for a change. I found that in a Rover 75 K-series, which was advertised from a salvage place with a failed head gasket. The car itself was in great condition with a very full service history and unmarked interior. While it did need some things doing the head gasket was in fact fine, someone had diagnosed the running problem as HGF. However, after I tested for HGF and had a gas analyser check in the coolant, it checked out fine. The problem was the timing was out, causing poor running and compressions. So I did the timing, which I think was a result of the HG recently being replaced. I also did various other small bits for the MOT and had it on the road within two weeks of getting it. I liked the car a lot but the 1.8 engine is not the one to go for in such a large car. I did about 2500 miles in it and in that time it never used a drop of water, I needed to test it before selling it on.

Anyway, back to Citroens then .... at that point I had four cars and while I knew the Rover wouldn't be staying with me long I had become a little bored of the 56 C5. A great car and it did do everything I needed in a car, the 138 2.0HDi engine is very good indeed. However, it got to the stage where the thought of driving it was not appealing, probably because I'd rather be driving one of the Xantias. So I sold that on at the end February time and since then I have been using my HDI Xantia as my daily car, mixed with the 75 while I had that. The HDi Exclusive I find a joy to own, it does everything I need and want and I look forward to every drive in it. My average mileage of 400 miles a week is soon shooting up its miles, so I've been considering getting something else to either take over daily duties or just share the miles. The HDi Exclusive is a car I want to keep long term and keep it as good as it can be, so this is where I am now, deciding what to buy next.

I did buy a C2 HDi a few months back which I had for a couple of weeks but it had issues and so I returned it back to the suppling dealer with a full refund.

My Xantia Activa has been in reasonably regular use since the salt has gone from the roads and it has shared some of my commuting. Both Xantias I hope to keep for a long time, however I can be pretty quick at making decisions and changing my mind, so who knows how that one will go! :shock:

So I am XM-less and for the first time since I started driving there is not one in the family either, which is why I've not been on here too often. I keep looking at XMs for sale and I really do fancy another one. If I were to buy one I'm not sure what model, if it should be a S1 or S2, petrol or diesel, auto or manual. I've experienced just about all of them now and I still have no idea. Which in one sense makes it easy to find one, as I should just find the best I can and then live with the model it it. However, it also makes seeing one which jumps out at me difficult.

We have always bought XMs on their condition and thought about what it was afterwards. Unlike Xantias where I have chosen what spec and engine I wanted but there is more choice of those.

A picture history ... I still like a good picture or two 8-)

My current pair:

So what next? I might well end up with something cheap to own just to pile my miles on or something else very appealing to me: an XM, I'm still waiting to see if anything takes my liking. :roll:
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed May 08, 2013 10:40 am

What can I say now........well I like your taste! I know the feeling: what would I go for now.....
Another nice XM is all I can think of now! :)

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Wed May 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi Chris,

Some great pics there. Cor you have been busy, buying and selling. Great result on the Rover. I have always liked the mk1 75.. Particularly in the light blue colour.
I can see why your attached to the Xantia HDI. Very nice example. Like the alloy wheels. 8-)

Well, if you want the ultimate XM, a mk1 24V is for sale at WHM. Matthew I believe might be checking it out for us to see!!!
He thinks it is David H old green car.

So what to get in the interim....C4 coupe? Or you could try another brand :o :lol: here is a very off the wall choice...Volvo S60. ;)

Can you mention Volvo on an XM club forum.? :twisted:
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk