It's finally happened (or very nearly so...)

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
davetherave
Citrobics expert

Re: It's finally happened (or very nearly so...)

Post by davetherave » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:25 am

Ah but when working (which ill admit may not be all the time, or even most of the time with mine) they really do ride like a magic carpet.
Ill just be keeping all the cavities well lubed with engine oil!
(95) 2.1TD XM Exclusive Silver RP: 6951
(87) 2.5td Cx
(01) Gpz500s

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:46 am

davetherave wrote: just be keeping all the cavities well lubed with engine oil!
I have two big cans of Waxoyl here just begging to be used on a worthy subject :)
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:30 am

Hi Jim

Use the engine oil first.
Waxoil fails to penetrate the seams fully on a galvanised multisection body shell.
The seams and the spot welds are the major shell weakness as the galvanising is damaged by the construction process.
Thin seams also suck moisture in by capilliary action.
You only need one atom of air and one atom of water to start the rust process.
The inner sections of the body shell stay damp far longer than the air dried outside of the shell.
This is the reason ALL Xm shell's rust mainly from the inside outward.

John

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks John :D Excellent! never knew that...

I always used to use engine oil as a rust proofer donkey's years ago when I ran British stuff.

Might as well chuck the Waxoyl then...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

David Hallworth
Citrobics expert

Post by David Hallworth » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:20 am

I'm glad Jim is taking this project on as at least we know it's going to get the auto box repaired.

I bought the car from Assich several months ago with intentions of doing same. Unfortunately though, work commitments, and time are the biggest problems I've had so far.

My fiance is also giving me grief as I'm spending to long in the workshop and not enough time with her so I need to stop playing with old Citroens for a bit I reckon.

I hope you're happy with it when it arrives Jim.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:44 pm

David Hallworth wrote:I'm glad Jim is taking this project on as at least we know it's going to get the auto box repaired.

I bought the car from Assich several months ago with intentions of doing same. Unfortunately though, work commitments, and time are the biggest problems I've had so far.

My fiance is also giving me grief as I'm spending to long in the workshop and not enough time with her so I need to find a new one I reckon.

Much better solution... ;)
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:28 pm

David Hallworth wrote:I'm glad Jim is taking this project on as at least we know it's going to get the auto box repaired.
It surely will be David :D

Today I've been very busy cleaning and tidying the workshop ready for the XM arrival. A bootload of stuff found a new home at the tip as I need all the space I can get when undertaking an autobox.

I expect one part of the car will soon be returning to Scotland and back near to you; the torque converter is likely to visit Mackie's in Paisley for an overhaul...

Oh, and don't take any notice of Will's marital advice :lol:
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:27 pm

An update and not a good one... :(

David and I have been mucked around by two transport companies now who have been full of promises, empty ones.

A few days after the original company gave up I was lucky (or so I thought) to find a local bloke going up north and offering a good deal.

All looked good right until an hour ago when he called to say the car he was taking north was being rejected by the purchaser and he was having to bring it back south. A likely story :twisted: David and I both believe he, and the others, have just simply got cold feet...

So, it's all somewhat in abeyance at the moment. David is looking from his end and may possibly have a lead.

It's looking increasingly likely that my plans to have this XM are likely to come to naught over the seemingly intractable problem of bringing the damm thing south.

Unless, that is, anyone happens to have a car trailer, a spare day or two and fancies a trip to Bonny Scotland and would not mind bringing back an XM!

I'm not a happy bunny at the moment.

The lesson I've learned from all of this is that Shiply, Uship and eBay along with the characters who proport to offer a car transportation service are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard :evil: Long on promises and short on actually delivering them or the car...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:39 pm

sorry to hear this Jim but have you tried one of the more expensive offers you recieved? An immobile Citroen is just hassle people dont want, especialy not for the prices being quoted, if there is a little more money in it then service should be good as there is more of an incentive.
I do feel for your situation, a few years ago i was all primed to buy Davids MK1 24v PRV xm and after it was found it could not be mot'd i did look into getting it trailered down but cost was a massive issue, i was about as far away from him as it was possible to be though with a ferry trip, BUT i wish now i had raided the piggy bank and i could have had my Prestige and a 24v on the drive now, what im saying is i understand how frustrating it is but dont give up, you are probably the only guy who will bring this xm back to life and you WILL enjoy it once its done and all this hassle is a distant memory!!!.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks Dean :D

I know, I'm a man of my word and anyone who breaks a promise with me is toast. The second company were being offered a lot more serious money than the first mob and still gave up citing what I believe is a tall story to get out of it. That's what has really got to me.

It'll all work out one of these days I know. It's just frustrating as I'm all set and ready to crack on with it.

I really do want this car and I know if I abandon now I'll end up regretting it.
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX