My Citroen XM 3.0 PR-Vestige

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Dean
Global Moderator

Re: My Prestige

Post by Dean » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Right, back to project xm, briefly.

I picked up where i left it last time with getting the rear subframe mounts off, that was easy enough now ive been tiold where the nuts are! underneath the mount everything looks clean but the strengthening plate was hiding a nasty secret so i set to work drilling out the spot welds that hold it in place
CIMG3482 by Deanxm, on Flickr
good eh........... the spot welds dont do the rust treat,ent any favours and since it developes between the strengthener and the chassis rails once it starts im sure it will spread like wild fire
CIMG3484 by Deanxm, on Flickr
Here is the rear mount and strengthener removed from the car, i will make a new strengthening plate as they are easy enough to cut out and i have some 1/8" steel sheet, tomorrow i will do the other side as it not as bad but since ive gone this far.............
CIMG3480 by Deanxm, on Flickr

Now with darkness setting in i decided to retreat to the shed and inspect the A/C condenser and remove the mounting plate since finding a new one is prooving very difficult.
CIMG3487 by Deanxm, on Flickr
CIMG3489 by Deanxm, on Flickr
CIMG3493 by Deanxm, on Flickr
looks very pitted under where the steel bracket was, i will make up a way of connecting it to the compressor and when swmbo is out i will submerge it in the bath and pressure test it to see where the leak is, silver solder will repair it if just pinholed, fingers crossed.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi Dean

Have a care with the pressure that you use for rad testing.
Very easy to turn a rad into a collection of holes.

John

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:18 pm

I will keep that in mind.
You assume i will be able to get the air in faster than it will come out though John!

D

Addicted to Crackanory

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Aouch!

I don't like the look of that rust. I wonder whats lurking under the subframes of cars that are getting regular use.

Dean, can I use these pictures in the Citroenian, or perhaps you could write in about your restoration instead ;) ;) :D
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:28 am

Im sure ive got a few things to write for you Robert :lol: if your not urgent i should get the time to write up some stuff for you in the next few weeks.

And its not good is it :? these plates look like a real trouble spot, one that cant be seen unless the rust is realy bad and its too late or the plate is removed, at least i cought it early and the repair will be very easy thankfully.

D

Addicted to Crackanory

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:14 am

How was that plate held on, spot welds where the rust is under it?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:01 pm

yep, if you look carefully at the second picture you can see where i drilled through the strengthener and the drill has kissed the chassis rails, the rust is starting around the welds.

D

Addicted to Crackanory

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Ahh, I see now.

At least the subframe wasn't going to fall off. Citroen still had memories of the CXs rot, and had a fair bit of stuff to rot before the subframe would come away!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Well i did get round to testing the condenser and it actualy leaked at three points, very very small leaks but the one in the photo above was noticable fairly soon after starting the test, its the steel brackets that touch the alloy making it dissolve :( a repair was possible of course and i was toying with the idea of taking the body of another condenser and adapting it as some suggested but i have just found a company in wales that not only stock a brand new condenser for the R12 system but also sell it for £90+vat+£10 shipping so that is a result, i have just bitten the bullet and ordered one, for the first time all year i go back to a 5 day week next month so i will now have the time to start playing with the xm again 8-).

Cant wait to get back to playing with Citroens again 8-)

D

Addicted to Crackanory

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Well my brand new Valeo R12 condenser arrived Friday, i got it for £120 in the end, i have just ordered a new cat today too, been out and unwrapped the car to give it a good airing out.

Got to work first off by fitting the new handbrake cables and reapairing the ecu box, i broke the locating pin off the back of mine a while ago and its always rubbed against the pump pulley so a little welding and the sacrifice of a headlamp adjuster was called for.
CIMG3513 by Deanxm, on Flickr

Next up it was time to clean the infected area ready to fabricate a patch, to begin with it looked like the rust could have spread to many diferent panels as there are 6 different plates that all meet in this area, thankfully this was not the case,
CIMG3514 by Deanxm, on Flickr

Here is the hole that caused all the trouble, glad its no longer attached to my pride and joy :-D :-D
CIMG3517 by Deanxm, on Flickr
XM with stage 3 weight reduction
CIMG3519 by Deanxm, on Flickr
CIMG3518 by Deanxm, on Flickr
With a bit of luck i should get the new patch shaped up this week ready to weld before the weekend, I want all the cavity waxing and underseal done in mild temperatures and dry weather.

D

Addicted to Crackanory