K-BAN has a new home

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: K-BAN has a new home

Post by citroenxm » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Tyre fitters the same.. " can you jack it by the subframe please " ive two heads... "eh? Thats the jacking point " .. I dont care.. if you bend that YOU dont have the job or consequences of repairing it when it gets damaged!!! So they use the jacking point.. aaaaaaaaarrrgghhhhhhhhh....
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:11 pm

Exactly Paul, they're the worst, and don't have to deal with the consequences of their carelessness / roughness like you said.

Its got to the point where I will only go to one trusted small place for tyres now, and he knows I'm precious about the XMs.

I arrive at the place, throw the car to max height as I stop, while its rising I lift a length of wood out of the boot, grab one of their trolley jacks from the workshop and start positioning it and the wood under the front subframe. As I do that the young lads who work for him are usually looking at me oddly and often one will scramble out with a jack and position it under the side (just the sill, not even the jacking point sometimes! :o ), at which point Sean (the owner), will say to them 'No, no, leave him, he likes to jack it up himself'.

And this is with a place I've been going to for over a decade, I hate to think what happens to any XM unfortunate enough to end up at some dump like Kwikfit where the owner isn't there to supervise everything they do on it.

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Looks like KBAN is coming along nicely Ray ;)

Externally all that car needed was the sunroof re sealing in a less visible manner, and the bonnet re painting....God knows how it got that piece of missing paint on it. I notice from the pics its picked up a slight ding in the rear quarter, Im sure it didnt have that when I machined it...they always seems to get dented on the rear quarters....god knows why. Mine had a dent there, and I managed to 98% tap it out from behind. Its certainly not as visible as it used to me. It always used to bug me that did.

Anyway....with the snow foam set up I presume your into the detailing side of things :?: :P if so, once the exterior and interior are how you like them, I found it very rewarding stripping the arch liners out and cleaning and painting up everything behind them. It just felt better knowing that everything was spic and span behind them :)

Also the engine bay stuff we briefly discussed...it really isn't that big of a job, just one of those plod along jobs that sees itself done within a couple of weeks. Alloy wheel paint and some satin black....some high temp ally paint for round the back where the turbo sits and a set of artists brushes and its steady away to a pristine engine bay again :) If you fancied it that is :P

raynoon
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 6043

Post by raynoon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:10 am

Vince I had a MINI Cooper S for a couple of years, that's when I started to use the 'proper' stuff for cleaning the cars, I picked up a few tips from deatailing world, but by no stretch of the imagination would I call myself a detailer nor would my work come anywhere near as good as yours! I think it's more OCD! But I will certainly take on board the advice you've given.

I think the dent on K-BAN was documented in her early days, Paul managed to knock most of it out. The bonnet certainly is a mystery! I also read that Charles had painted over this blemish, but sadly it's come back. She's also received a scrape to the near side front bumper too.

Did you ever get round to working your magic on CEO when she was in Will's custody?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1993 Citroen XM 2.1 turboSD auto
1995 Citroen XM 2.1TD Auto EXCLUSIVE

raynoon

Post by raynoon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:14 am

....and the sun roof needs re-sealing...

citsncycles
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP 5709 - Turbo SD

Post by citsncycles » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:29 am

I only use one local tyre fitter too. I do let them jack it, but as they're also used by the Westons for their tyre work they know all about where to jack most Citroens, and when they don't they ask.

The last straw with the other indy fitter we had (shortly after they were taken over by Quickfit) was when they picked up the Wartburg I had by the sills, not the chassis as instructed, then when the monkey found some of the valves were bolt in ones he though his tools at my car! luckily the manager saw this and went out to send him out the back somewhere before doinf the job himself.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:13 am

Vince wrote:Looks like KBAN is coming along nicely Ray ;)

Externally all that car needed was the sunroof re sealing in a less visible manner, and the bonnet re painting....God knows how it got that piece of missing paint on it. I notice from the pics its picked up a slight ding in the rear quarter, Im sure it didnt have that when I machined it...they always seems to get dented on the rear quarters....god knows why. Mine had a dent there, and I managed to 98% tap it out from behind. Its certainly not as visible as it used to me. It always used to bug me that did.

Anyway....with the snow foam set up I presume your into the detailing side of things :?: :P if so, once the exterior and interior are how you like them, I found it very rewarding stripping the arch liners out and cleaning and painting up everything behind them. It just felt better knowing that everything was spic and span behind them :)

Also the engine bay stuff we briefly discussed...it really isn't that big of a job, just one of those plod along jobs that sees itself done within a couple of weeks. Alloy wheel paint and some satin black....some high temp ally paint for round the back where the turbo sits and a set of artists brushes and its steady away to a pristine engine bay again :) If you fancied it that is :P
That dent has always been there. It was there when I had her .. so its not new.

the glass roof panel needs removing and completely sealing properly. . Dieselman has done this on one of his cars and has documented it on here...

The chip on the bonnet.. well its been a few years but I cant remeber if I was there when I first had her or not..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:10 pm

I did the sunroof reseal using Wills how to guide. It is easy to do, but use plenty of sealant. I think one corner of mine didn't and let a tiny amount of seepage in. Didn't ever get like it was though.

You'll have to let me know Mike about that tyre fitter.
Otherwise I'm going to drop off the wheels minus the car, to a local place. I did take my grey XM to Malvern tyres once and asked them to jack up on the subframe. They did.. But I was present and did not leave the car alone!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:28 pm

I just take my wheels in minus the car, when i took the Activa in for rubber they slipped the jack under the cill and i stopped them, i jacked off the subframe and he gave me a funny look, i dont know why of all the things to jack from why you would pick some non structural tin foil bit of the body.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

raynoon

Post by raynoon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:08 pm

This picture made me smile this morning, I can't believe how well K-BAN has cleaned up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.