KP's growing amount of Citroens...

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
kingp
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Re: KP's growing amount of Citroens...

Post by kingp » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:36 am

Also for some reason the blower direction doesn't seem to work :(

Anyone got any clues at all as cold feet sucks big time, even if i have to manually move it so its feet and screen at least then the heat will rise as well :)

kingp

Post by kingp » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Well cold feet prevail but i have done the drivers window switch.

This weekend I hope to do the steering wheel radio controls..

Also won a blaupunkt dab 52 radio and am just checking with a supplier about an adapter lead to fit it to the car and use the remote as well.

Looking at a replacement aerial with dab support as the original fit one is MASSIVE and looks real poo as well even after a wash and polish so something smaller and nicer will help pick the car up.

She's doing about 40mpg of this weeks tank of fuel and at 80p/l is doing well. I do chuck 5litres of normal Diesel in every other tank to help keep it thin which below with starting.

Also noticed some water pools sometimes when returning to the car and the only water that seems to get used a lot is washer fluid so I'll keep an eye on it as te pools aren't that big, smaller than the palm of my hand so far :)

kingp

Post by kingp » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:06 am

Well time for an update.

My dad reported gearbox issues the other week when he went to turn it around on the driveway after driving it home and emptying the shopping into the house.

Originally i thought it might be the clutch or DMF gone.
I was wrong and it looks like the selector mechanism in the box is the issue but now he is struggling to get the thing off the car :(

On the other hand it has got my Xantia finally sorted as the only other semi functional car i had at the time, so I've handed it over to him to use until his C5 is back online.
Its getting re-mot'ed tomorrow as it failed today on the drivers rear door not opening.
Apparently the garage tried everything.... I told my dad to simply take the plunger part off and leave the bare metal rod showing. Job done and took about 30seconds for him to do :)
Next on the list is getting the code for the radio so he's going to take it out at some point and get the serial number off it and plug it into the calculators that are floating around, failing that may have to pay citroen for it unless one feels nice enough to offer it up(can these be pulled from service.citroen easily enough?
Everything else it passed on as well without any minors apparently so i'm well chuffed! I'll get him to do some tidying up of it and I've got some Veg and engine oil to drop off for it to use as fuel as the glowplugs on it must be pretty good as it start first time on any fuel put in regardless of outside temp or how long its sat and just pumps away :)
It does need the aux belt pulley sorting though as its a squeeker on startup and under heavy load, IE AC on, alternator pulling power and HP pump requiring power with power steering loaded up.

The 2.5td is being a pain to start sometimes in the morning so i tried it on straight diesel and pumping the primer pump as well incase of an airleak. This doesnt help at all so its now the glowplugs that need to be done. I'll get some of the duraterm ones i posted up a while ago and have a bash at getting them done, even if i just do the 2 easy ones its likely to help somewhat as it feels like 2-3 could be dead now :(

The car seems to be OK after its recent radiator issues whereby i found the ChargeCooler radiator sprung a hole!

I had already ordered the big rad up so i now have a cheap OE one sat for me when i need it. It doesnt have the rail across the top for the fuel pipes to clip in so when the time comes i think those pipes will come off and i'll fit some proper goodyear stuff that i have in the garage.
I have also recieved a smll package from a breakers with some tasty bits in it. Mainly 2 bumper washer trims as any car i've seen that hasn't been really cared for seems to have them missing! and the vents for the doors, the pillars and dash ends and the twist nob for the boot storage bins :)

The anti sink valve does stick a little i have found but i give the engine a good 30seconds to prime things up before driving off in the morning. She copes well when fully loaded although i am keen to get the radiator setup back as it should be even though its not great as i've found on Noz's forum due to the way the thermostat is setup :(

The heater control panel direction nob does nothing at all. This needs looking at as it could be the nob, the cable(if its cable) or the flap end.
The dab radio that i installed is working great. im just trying to get a good sized SD card for it that works so i can stop burning CD's for it and also because it will stop the odd bit of skipping i get over a rough bit of road i have to drive a lot, and when i say rough, i think it was put in in the '70s and hasnt had any care since so is pothole nirvana!!

Also there is some wierd fault that the passenger wing mirror after startup has a mind of its own for about 5-10seconds wondering where its going.
I think its something to do with the dipping on reverse function of the cars mirror but ho hum i can live with it.

MPG wise im getting between 43-46 as i seem to hit a lot of traffic lately, like the M56 close the other night where i spent 2hours diverting round that after everywhere became gridlocked and with my phone battery dead and both charging cables at home i did my own diversion from memory which at least got me moving again!

On the runs when its been clear at silly o'clock i've done resets on the trip odo and been getting into the high 50's just cruising along at 55-60.
She needs a good clean though as the commuter dirt is building inside and out and she happily swallowed 150 3kg bricks the other day without complaint. The back became super soft though so i may chuck another load in longterm, help with the economy on the downhill runs!

On the RR front i have finished stripping the intank pump, balance pump and floats down, cleaned up and cleaned the tank out and put them back in. the car is now resealed so i'll get a dehumidifier in there to dry her out as she smells a bit musty from being sat a few months but nothing a good day of care wont fix when she is back on the road!
She needs a new battery as the one in it has been killed recently by one of the frosts despite being on a charger. Even the ctek couldnt bring it back to life when i tried it.
After this if she still runs rough i'll get a new injector wiring loom and go from there. She was washed around my birthday so shes got 2 months of silt dirt built up on her which also needs to come off, and will be another day of washing as she will love it!

The '12 plate golf i drive sometimes is performing OK and due its first service. It feels crap in the morning after a cold night even after a run of the glowplugs but as its a 1.6TDI i suspect as much and will just get VW to check it over when it goes in. Its a very very hard ride though and i dont think i can ever go back to a steelie sprung car unless it was one of my past frenchies. These german thigns are just way too hard for me as i get older :D

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Tell me more about the ctek you use on batteries.

John

kingp

Post by kingp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Here you go John :)

http://www.ctek.com/int/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

its brought a few of mine back to life but the one from my rangey and 1 other was just too far gone.
best bit is one of the ones I reconditioned has jump started two cars and helped try and breath life into an old MG without needing another recharge :)

It has gone back on for a recondition but was done over night :)

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:07 pm

As an aside, it is believed the cheap chargers sold by Aldi and Lidl are the same ones as Ctek.

Pretty well all chargers now are electronic and will condition a battery, if possible.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

kingp

Post by kingp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Could be true depending on what ctek it's been compared to as the lower rated ones will charge your battery up but don't offer the other options or the speed. I went for the 5amp as while the 10amp would be better for the big batteries the rangies use it only speeds up the charge rate and if I take it out if the car in happy to leave it off for a day to complete :)

kingp

Post by kingp » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Well today i spent some time the XM that turned out to be wasted :(

I replaced the engine bay parts of the fuel supply and return lines as i though they could be letting air into the system.
Had nill effect on the issue :(

Then looked at the fuel filter assembly. At worst this is allowing fuel to drain back after driving but doesn't explain the poor running i get after left hand corners and general lack of fuel supply.

Upon taking some plastic bits off it looks like my injector leak off pipes are leaking :( This could be the culprit all along which is annoying as fock!

Im away all day tomorrow and coming back late evening so will likely have to send my good ladies to halfrauds to pick some up for me and do it during my lunch at work on monday as my other car is loaned out to my dad at the moment :( Grrr 3 citroens in various states of unhappiness is not good :(

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:48 pm

3 in one time is not good but you'll get it fixed. Dunno what's wrong with the other 2 but you'll fix them too. :)

kingp

Post by kingp » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:28 pm

The C5's gearbox stopped selecting gears and isn't wanting to leave the car and the xantia is squeeking on startup from an idler puller I think.