Gold V6 engine out - head gasket

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
MTXM
Citroen God!

Re: Gold V6 engine out - head gasket

Post by MTXM » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:30 pm

I scanned through your rather more comprehensive restoration photos Dean and it was interesting to see treatment of the front subframe member, which was in need of some attention on my car. I have not progressed beyond liberal coats of Waxoil at this point!! With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:05 pm

I have used about 1 litre of Dinitrol corromax 3125 to do the subframes, 4 chassis rails under the car, and all the hollow sections in and around the engine bay, ive also done half of one sill and the pillars behind the wings so 2 litres is about minimum as there are some rails to do behind the fuel tank and under the rear bumper as you say, i have 3 litres which should give plenty to do the job well.

I have forgoten as you sparking off this chat made me go down to the shed and it seems i thought This was a good idea as ive bought 5 litres of it, i remember now a lot of the fans of old BL stuff tend to rate it well and i think you will agree the price is right!

Matthew, waxoil seems fine, it does say it kills old rust and the stuff i put under the boot floor years ago has no sign of rust or peeling, im really happy with it.
I tdoesnt creap though and its very soft so i treated inside the subframe with dinitrol and outside, well, you can see. The dinitrol really pulls through the join in the two halves of the subframe and spraying straight away with the stone chip has hopefully sealed it up well and given a hard outer coating.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:24 pm

All good advice Dean and I admire your very thorough approach to the job. I also meant to say after seeing your initial photo of the car rear end that is where I had the most severe rust on my 24v, apart from along one of the cills. After removing the bumper for painting I found the very flimsy downstand had nearly disappeared on one side! With regards, Matthew T.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 pm

I remember you mentioned that at cxm, the only thing i can think is mine was garaged most of its early life and only done high speed runs in the summer when the owner went on his hols to scotland.
High speed travel in salty conditions is going to bath the cars nooks and crannies in salt that wont get rinsed off and maybe this is the cause.....................

D

Addicted to Crackanory

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:48 pm

I found a couple of Xms local to me that have been sitting for years in a field. One of them is completely rotten around the back edge of the boot floor, and starting to go along the side of the wheel arches. I was amazed as to how bad it was.

I have some Tetra Stone Chip to use on the sills of the green estate. I haven't used it before. I have used Gravitex before. It is generally Ok. But I have found it to flake off at times which is crap.

So its a case of using the more expensive Dinitrol for cavities and subframes, and plastering the underside, subframes (after a bit of Dinitrol) and wheel arches with the cheaper Terta Shutz or 3M stuff.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Just to update my thread and regain the original subject since pulling the engine out earlier this week! I obtained invaluable assistance from another local XM enthusiast, Dave (the Rave), partly for a second pair of hands, but also because, despite having access to my Dad's trailer, I do not have a tow bar on any of my cars!! The engine came out quite cleanly, apart from unexpectedly having to remove the right-hand driveshaft intermediate bearing housing, which was a real pig to access. The engine even got a quick clean outside and is now at my friendly local garage awaiting further attention. Later in the day I cleaned the engine bay and driveshafts and underneath the grime the subframe is in amazing condition, mainly due to being pickled in oil and grease I think! For the refit I will completely remove the driveshafts and the access I now have is handy as one inner driveshaft gaitor and the left-hand steering rack gaitor also need replacement. The garage have very helpfully agreed that I can spend an afternoon further stripping down the top of the engine that will save me a few pounds! With regards, Matthew T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Good work Matthew and Dave.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Isn't it annoying that the subframe front cross-member isn't just bolt on, which would allow the engine to be removed on a trolley jack.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Exellent stuff Gents, take care of her Matthew, i like that gold one 8-)

D

Addicted to Crackanory

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Many thanks Chaps and I will keep you posted on further developments. It turns out both steering rack gaiters need replacing and the right-hand driveshaft inner gaiter, which are fortunately now very accessible with the engine out! Hopefully our local main dealer can assist with the gaiters as I have found originals are far preferable. I am spending next Wednesday afternoon at the garage stripping off the top of the engine, hopefully including the exhaust manifolds etc. My ambition is to have the car back on the road next spring and all being well she will appear at the National and CXM at least and maybe even the ICCCR. With regards, Matthew T.