A white one on Ebay......almost the one I'm looking for

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
Dean
Global Moderator

Re: A white one on Ebay......almost the one I'm looking for

Post by Dean » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:34 pm

It still wouldnt pop the head gasket though, ageing coolant pipes would be popping first.......... or the header tank :) still worth a go though.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by minijet » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:05 pm

Anyone know how to remove the header tank please?.........I can't find it in the Haynes manual.
I had a look at mine today, and as far as I can see, it plugs into a couple of grommits in the wing, but I'm pretty sure there must be a bolt somewhere :? Do I have to remove something else before I can get at it?
I'm not jumping the gun, I know there's already bids on it, but I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I make a bid myself........I'll be :x :x :x :x :x if this one ends up in the hands of a Pug boy racer.....

Paul

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:10 pm

If i remember rightly there is a 10mm bolt that secures it on the front and then the grommet, there is also the unseen feed pipe that comes out of the bottom to undo but you should be able to lift the header up enough to undo it then resecure with a Jubilee clip.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:25 pm

I've been to see this and spoke to the garage owner, but he didn't have the keys available so couldn't go in the car. (He was just leaving and had locked up)

Bodywise there is no rust but both front jacking points are folded over. The bonnet has some light scratches, the rear subframe is clean with only traces of rust, I couldn't really get under to see the pipework but the rear susp pipes look ok, but the spheres are coated with rust. He says it drives well and is smooth and that it's in Ok condition underneath.
He recalls it having a new rear height corrector last year and the rear and mid silencers look fairly newish.

The headgasket isn't blown as such but is on the way, the header tank is split and has debris in the bottom of it, probably from lack of antifreeze changes, the bottom cooling hose has had to be patched to stop it leaking.

The interior looks good apart from some wear on the plastic steering wheel rim. The front bumper is scuffed low down and the front o/s towing eye cover is missing.

That's about it.!

I've got some pictures but they don't really say any more han I've put here.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by minijet » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks for the report on the car dieselman.

I couldn't make up my mind about this one, it's not exactly what I want......in fact, apart from the colour, condition and low mileage, it's not really what I want at all :?.... (I want aircon and all the gadgets...... 8-) )

Anyway, temptation got the better of me and I threw in a 'rash' last minute bid :o , half expecting to be outbid in the dying seconds.........but no. I won it :o :D :o .

I'll probably hire a trailer to bring it home, I think it's a bit too risky to try driving an unMOT'd, untaxed car a hundred miles up the motorway. And if there is a mechanical problem and it can't be driven, it'll mean going all the way back to get a trailer anyway.

I'll be collecting it next weekend all being well.

Paul