A white one on Ebay......almost the one I'm looking for

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

A white one on Ebay......almost the one I'm looking for

Post by minijet » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:14 am

White S2 TCT auto :D .........knackered head gasket :( , SX trim :( ,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

So, would anyoner care to make an educated guess at the cost (financial cost that is.....we can discuss the blood, sweat and tears later) of a DIY head and exhaust gasket job?

Paul

andmcit
XM Guru

Re: A white one on Ebay......almost the one I'm looking for

Post by andmcit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:55 am

You're looking at parts around £100 before labour - head bolts are about 15 quid, a head gasket
about 35 and a new waterpump 20, timing belt 15 and tensioner 20. Getting it shouldn't be a
problem - isn't it almost on your doorstop?

Alloys with it are a bonus. Hope you prevent the boy racers buying it to strip down the engine Paul...

Andrew

minijet

Post by minijet » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:22 am

Thanks for the reply Andrew.

It's not on my doorstep, it's about 100miles away, Leicestershire, but I've travelled a lot further for an XM, so not too much of a problem.

Would the head need testing for cracks, or skimming, etc.

Paul

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:28 am

Let me know if you need it looking at before purchase.
Bizzarely it's about 1/2 mile away from the silver 2.1 we are also discussing on that's on ebay.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

bitonthesidexm
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by bitonthesidexm » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:43 am

Is it worth asking the garage where it's parked for a quote for the job done?
1994 XM Turbo Onyx in black.

minijet

Post by minijet » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Dieselman wrote:Let me know if you need it looking at before purchase.
Bizzarely it's about 1/2 mile away from the silver 2.1 we are also discussing on that's on ebay.
Thanks for the offer dieselman. I'll be speaking to the seller on the phone this evening, so I'll find out a bit more then, and decide what to do next.
I don't want to waste your time if the car is no good to me anyway, first I need to find somewhere to put another car :? .
However, there may be others on here who are also interested in it..........
bitonthesidexm wrote:Is it worth asking the garage where it's parked for a quote for the job done?

I was thinking about that, I'll ask the seller what the garage quoted when I speak to him.

Paul

minijet

Post by minijet » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:25 pm

I've spoken to the seller......

The garage quoted him £950 to do the job. He said that if the car doesn't sell on Ebay he'll probably bite the bullet and get the repair done, as he couldn't see it get scrapped.......it's too good.

The header tank came apart at the seam and was leaking coolant. He took it to the garage and they pressure tested the engine (compression test presumably), and they said the head gasket has gone - he did say there was no white smoke.....but I forgot to ask if there was any loss of power.

Also there's some noise from the manifold until the engine has warmed up, this is thought to be the exhaust gasket.

The MOT has run out, and the car has been at the garage some time (several weeks I think he said), and they're rather keen to see it gone.

Other than that, the car is in very good, well looked after condition.

The seller seems to be a bit of a Citroen enthusiast. He said he used to own a CX, and he regrets selling it (what is it about CX's?). He then got a XM V6 and had loads of problems with it (mostly electrical), then settled on a poverty spec car - less gadgets = less problems.....makes sense I suppose.

So.........If I were to aquire this car, what could I transplant into it from one of my air conditioned, electric seated and armrested, cruise controlled, trip computer equipped exclusives......I'm rather attatched to my little luxuries :D

I really like the look of the car (love the colour), but as I said previously, I have the major problem of where to keep another unroadlegal car.
The thought has occurred to me to fit a replacement header tank, put it in for MOT and if it passes drive it home.

Paul

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:42 pm

The header tank cracking can happen, nothing to do with overpressure from a badly gone head gasket, the pressure cap should have released if there was too much pressure, if he didnt seem to know the bloke who ownes the garage i would say there is a high chance someone is having a laugh, if the head goes on these 8v's you usualy get oil in the water and they plod on for ages like it, i would go armed with a spare header and have a prebooked mot near your house so you can drive it back without any unwanted attention, if it croaks at the roadside then call on the AA if you have cover but i bet it will drive ok, and if the head gasket is gone leave the filler cap loose.

Of course all this is right assuming the header had been split for ages and he was driving like it and ran out of water one too many times, that would kill the head gasket stone dead..........maybe the head too.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:00 pm

I'm not 100% sure you can get a non MOT car AA'd.

The emissions way be naff if the MOT were test carried out on the car as is although there's nothing
to stop you getting a test. Mind with a leaky manifold will scupper a favourable MOT outcome (highly
likely to be a manifold or the gasket on a TCT - especially after recent postings on the forum show too!

You could transfer the electric seats with the loom that also feeds the electrics into the rear doors for lekky
back windows. I'd personally forgo cruise/AC/trip computers and silly armrests any day and trade them for
a reliable ABS system, lighting and sunroof. After fannying about with the electric seats and armrest the
one and only time you'll never need them again yet have to drag their weight around ad nauseum.

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:33 pm

good point about the AA mot thing, i think your right Andrew, ah what the heck, it WONT breakdown :lol:

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory