On ebay

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
bitonthesidexm
Knows how to use the parking brake

On ebay

Post by bitonthesidexm » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:32 am

1994 XM Turbo Onyx in black.

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: On ebay

Post by kenhall » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:25 am

She (the seller) has also written a nice 'novel' to go with it! Certainly looks like a well looked after example.

Ken

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:10 am

It is a bit like "On a dark and stormy night..." and does read like a Citroen Xm brochure but then
again why not - as this is after all a pitch to sell a car, so sell it well! At least the vibes when
bidding for the car are good and as you say Ken the car sounds like it's enjoyed regular
thorough enthusiast maintenance.

I just feel close ups of door armrests and rear vents are at the detriment to the main feelgood
shots of the whole car which are missing - something like the auction shots below sell the car
which after all is still a subjective and emotional purchase as well as a cerebral one. Just my
tuppenceworth and nobody has to agree with my picture comments - mind, I'm not trying to
score points or be clever, it's just I work in graphic design and advertising and also avidly follow
Citroens on ebay and daily watch what does and doesn't work.

It may be totally corny but a damned good picture will sell as much as a 1000+ words
so combined with the 'small novel' description will be a really compelling proposition.

Some shots I've saved off ebay on my travels: it really does help to isolate the car,
get some light on it if it's a dark colour and get the whole thing in shot etc:

and some I've taken of a black s2 Exclusive - even some of these have confusing reflections:

I guess the thing about any forum is everyone has their own opinion and I may be making
an issue out of nothing.. :D

Andrew

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:14 pm

Anyone spot the CX in the picture of the side of the car, sitting in front of the XM.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:41 pm

It's a 22 TRS mentioned in the "new member" thread posted here yesterday Robert.
I'm guessing the new silver W plater replacement is the one that appeared briefly
on ebay and then got turned around by Roger Bradford.

Andrew

bitonthesidexm
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by bitonthesidexm » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:22 am

Nice piccies Andrew!
1994 XM Turbo Onyx in black.

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by kenhall » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:21 am

Some shots I've saved off ebay on my travels
Have you noticed that with the new ebay listing format that it is now not possible to directly save the pictures (or is it just me?). I have always found it useful to import ebay pictures and then manipulate them with a picture application in order to inspect details, alter brightness and contrast etc etc.

Ken

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:24 am

I just saved one to desktop as a test.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by kenhall » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:52 am

[quote]I just saved one to desktop as a test.[quote]

Tried it again and works OK with Internet Explorer but not with Firefox (which I have just started using). Any Firefox experts out there can tell me the secret for downloading .jpg's from ebay?

Ken

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:55 am

I'm with you Ken - same problem and I too regularly alter the duff ebay picture in Photoshop
to see what exactly is on offer. I've found different browsers throw up the same issue and always
use Firefox - guess a recent update has this disabled although I originally believed Ebay must've
been trying to stop folk ripping off one another's auction pics. Originally thought it was a Mac
thing as I can't right click the mouse but used to use a keyboard key command.

Must admit I'd never dream of using Internet Exploder, even if it allows picture downloading.

Andrew