Which one?

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
nirgunapa
Knows how to use the parking brake

Which one?

Post by nirgunapa » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:45 pm

Well as Gav's XM drifts well away from my budget and with increasing frustration (I've been looking at Saab's :shock: ) I have a choice between these two:

Link is http://www.gumtree.com/london/52/44032452.html

OR

Link is http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... egLetter=M

I prefer the automatic but haven't driven one for about 25 years!

Which would be the best bet?
Colin

1992 XM Prestige
1999 Skoda Felicia - the wife's new drive
1959 Commer Cob - SORN
1952 Riley RMA - retirement project

2001 Volvo S80 - for sale soon

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: Which one?

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi Colin

There should be some cheaper ones about on ebay in a minute, most go for under £500.00 some well under. These cars are not selling at those prices. I only paid £150 and £250 respectivly for my last 2.1s, and they have got to be worth more than the petrol ones. Admittedly they needed attention but they are both up and running now. It might be worth keep ing the contact numbers of those that don't sell and making them a cheeky offer.

The problem with auto's is that gearbox failure will write the car off.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:44 pm

I guess it does depend on the real condition of each car and the mileage of the black one. They could both be very nice cars
but my personal preference would be the green one. It's a better colour and a younger car (by a year!!) requiring less work/expense.
I own a few black cars and it really is a rubbish colour to have despite the perceived racy/prestigious etc aura.

The prices AREN'T totally rude (WolseyHouseMotors) levels and not everyone is as daft/brave/lucky as Peter and I when buying
potential basket cases/money pits/bargain of the year Xm's.

If you can get the green one for 550-600ish it should be a good purchase! OK, it's a s2 and I believe they rot more than s1's but that
black one may need more money and work. Had the s1 been a better colour, and a known mileage, it may have shaded the either/or
decision!

BTW, with you in Abergavenny you're not that far away from me if I can help at all in your search for an Xm!!

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Incidentally, they've been ripping strips off Saabs on FrenchCarForum this afternoon and it would
seem you're best sticking with Citroen!! :shock: PLUS, you're in good hands here so you'd not be facing things
totally alone!! :lol:

Andrew

nirgunapa
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by nirgunapa » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Well I had a Saab 9000 CSE and was very happy with it till the clutch disintegrated outside Exeter! :o

That led to the Volvo which is very nice but the ride is nowhere near a Citroen. As I won't be doing exceptional miles due to commuting to work via train / bike in future my predilection for the economy of diesel has gone.
Colin

1992 XM Prestige
1999 Skoda Felicia - the wife's new drive
1959 Commer Cob - SORN
1952 Riley RMA - retirement project

2001 Volvo S80 - for sale soon

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:42 pm

I had the 2.3T CDS and problems but dispite my piss taking post on FCF i did really like it, reliability was a big issue for me but then i did used to nail it everywhere, and with 235bhp i just couldnt resist it, that car toook me over the max 140 reading on the speedo, on private roads of course!

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Of course Dean. Incidentally, that's one straight quiet strip of road on the island - is there a long runway on the Isle of Wight
where lads in fast Saabs go doo-lally?

Andrew

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:53 pm

no no it was in you part of the world actualy, not racing for a ferry, not on public roads :) ive suddenly realised i have probably never been above 100 in the XM, oh lord im getting old, sensible and boring :(

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 pm

From someone that was unhappily one point away from oblivion, sensible and boring keeps you mobile and in a job!
Whilst I do drive a tad fast it's always been in the wild open countryside about these parts or Motorway munching.
To get 3 points for being in the 3rd lane of the M4 with a trailer whilst overtaking a completely dangerous weaving
liability middle lane hogger stuck at 45 still hurts; Siberian labour camps are made for people like these aren't they? :evil:

Andrew

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Post by onthecut » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:40 pm

They are all of an age now where individual condition is becoming the biggest factor, but for me, all other things being equal, I'd go for a S2 every time. Just seem better screwed together and more solid and I'm certain they are quieter than the S1.

Mike.