SAVED! - 1993 2.1 SED Auto - MOT and Tax

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
andmcit
XM Guru

Re: SAVED! - 1993 2.1 SED Auto - MOT and Tax

Post by andmcit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:25 pm

mouseflakes wrote:Lots of bits are falling off on the inside - door pocket lids, glove box lid etc. And it's filthy.
It appears to have a complete glovebox handle - you're going to say next the glovebox strut works!! :lol:
Actually, it appears to complete inside - was the picture taken before you drove it and everything moved! :?

Andrew

mouseflakes
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by mouseflakes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Is it relatively easy to rebush the lower wishbones?

Here are the strut tops...

Offside (no noise from here)

Not great, but not too bad either. :?

Nearside - the noisy one, reassuringly solid in appearance. :)

I need to start looking into ways to prevent futher corrosion. It looks as if removing the thin rubber skin might actually do then some good - reducing the amount of 'trapped' moisture perhaps?
Last edited by mouseflakes on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

1969 R16 GL - welding up
1978 R30 TS - resting up
1996 Saxo D - commuting up (?)

mouseflakes

Post by mouseflakes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:28 pm

nirgunapa wrote:It looks great! :)
Thanks Colin.

Photos flatter it a little - but it's still quite looker!
Tim

1969 R16 GL - welding up
1978 R30 TS - resting up

mouseflakes

Post by mouseflakes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:30 pm

andmcit wrote:
mouseflakes wrote:Lots of bits are falling off on the inside - door pocket lids, glove box lid etc. And it's filthy.
It appears to have a complete glovebox handle - you're going to say next the glovebox strut works!! :lol:
Actually, it appears to complete inside - was the picture taken before you drove it and everything moved! :?

Andrew
The glovebox catch doesn't (catch) and the top hinge is broken (the lid just falls off if you open it).

The loose bit are just resting in place in the photo. ;)
Tim

1969 R16 GL - welding up
1978 R30 TS - resting up

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:38 pm

V.e.r.y. nice, pity about the gearbox. :D The rattle at the front is most likely to be droplinks and the intermittent rattle in the engine almost certainly worn hydraulic tappets - but it will go on like that for a long time.

I see it comes from down our way - Somerset reg.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:42 pm

RANT alert!!

As I've mentioned elsewhere already over the past 24 hours, I just cannot abide or understand the numpties that
throw the towel in on a car like this and chuck it away; it's not as if that nasty little jap box with batteries up it's
backside isn't killing the world being chugged all the way round the globe burning zillions of gallons of fuel so
the prat next door can feel all superior and parsimonious when his car has a CO2 reading of 3 or 90 or whatever
so he can feel he's doing his bit saving the world...

funny, my car passed a government emissions test a month ago and the readings were miiiiiiles under the permitted
tolerance range.

This whole environmental gig is purely a means to wield a big tax stick against us all and then insult to injury
kicks us in the teeth with the heinous scrappage attempt to keep car manufacturers in business scheme. Now
cars are being deliberately shredded without any recycling back into the spares market when in truth the best
purest means of lessening environmental impact is to extend/prolong the working lifespan of an efficient machine
and NOT throw it away on a whim of fashion and oneupmanship. It's sad to think cars like the one pictured are
being put into the scheme. The classic mags are filled with articles where perfectly good "but old" cars are being
taken in and the garages where real car fans work are almost suicidal.

I need to lie down again. :? :?

Andrew

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Removal of the flappy rubber on the strut top would actually help - chuck some Genolite on the exposed metal
and that should see you well. The droplinks are always the first suspect, followed by the bottom balljoint and
then the arm bushes. The small bush can be a right pig but the main shackle bracket one at the back isn't so bad.
It may well be worth keeping an eye out on ebay for a whole/bushed arm actually.

Andrew

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:53 pm

Actually, I reckon inside just needs a bundle of torx headed self tappers and the shifting sands of the desert
will depart the interior. I'm likely going to sound very sad, but I find this kind of thing very rewarding!! :geek:

Andrew

mouseflakes

Post by mouseflakes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:55 pm

andmcit wrote:the bottom balljoint
Ah yes - thanks Andrew - I should have thought of that (don't know why I didn't) - quite a good candidate now when I think of the noise.
Tim

1969 R16 GL - welding up
1978 R30 TS - resting up

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:09 pm

Bloody Hell Tim,

Where do you find these cars?

First the Olympic Blue G reg 2.0 Si, and now this excellent 2.1 SED. I really like it, it looks usperb. I wish you the very best with it, I hope you have an easier time with it than the Si and its corroding rear sub frame. I agree with Andrew, why would you give up on a smashing car like that?

Crazy.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic