2.5 TD Shot/Short Engine?

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
rosspa
Knows how to use the parking brake

2.5 TD Shot/Short Engine?

Post by rosspa » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:36 am

2.5 TD Dropped valve

Recently on the A1 on my way to work in my XM, whilst accelerating from 4th to 5th, the engine just cut with no warning and I coasted to a stop, luckily finding a convenient layby. On trying to restart, the engine cranked over quite slowly and unevenly so I knew something was not right mechanically and suspected the timing belt or cylinder head problems (car had been loosing water, I was topping up daily!). I had recovery on the insurance and soon got car home. I eventually removed the cylinder head and found a horrible mess. No. 3 exhaust valve had lost its head which, after doing awful damage to the combustion chamber and piston crown, is now embedded vertically in the said crown. Also, there is damage/scoring to the cylinder wall, so don't believe that I could get away with new piston and rod and head.

On close examination, the cylinder head had bad cracking betweem the combustion and swirl chambers, it may be that a lump of cylinder head material broke away and subsequently caused the broken valve head- just a theory.

As a result of all this , I am now running my spare 2.5 and mulling over my future options. Do I scrap the car? Although it has covered over 200,000 miles, it has a recent clutch and is better in most ways than the car I am now running, or do I swop out engines, or get a replacement engine. I already have a remanufactured cylinder head/valves which I had planned to fit in the near future.

What I really need is a short or maybe complete engine - any suggestions/offers?

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: 2.5 TD Shot/Short Engine?

Post by Peter.N. » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:05 pm

There are quite a few 2.5s being broken so I wouldn't have thought you wold have had to much trouble in finding an engine. Have a look on ebay, I bought a 2.1 engine minus the pump for less than ten pounds on ebay a couple of years ago, had to go about 300 miles for it though. Dont try the breakers, they ask a fortune but some of the privately dismantled ones are reasonable - or maybe someone on here will turn up with one. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by minijet » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:24 pm

rosspa wrote:What I really need is a short or maybe complete engine - any suggestions/offers?
You didn't say where you are rosspa, but this one is in Doncaster, and the seller is a member of the forum.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/citroen-xm-2-5-de ... 4a9fba2756

Paul

xmgob
Can find the S1 radio

Post by xmgob » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi Paul I've got a 2.5 engine minus pump its not the I had for sale before I've only just taken it out I've heard it run but can't really vouch for it as the exhaust was blowing but it started ok if you think it will do give me a bell thanks roy

rosspa

Post by rosspa » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the rapid and helpfull responses.

Peter, I agree with all your points and do hope to aquire something suitable soon. I have had a few parts from robert_e_smart, but I know he is in Northern Ireland, and is maybe asking alot for him to remove and post. I do know what a pig they are to remove. Am hoping for something nearer home.

Paul, I am also Paul and am in Bedford, I will give them a call.

Roy, sounds interesting, would give you a call but would need your number.

My engine/gearbox is now ready to remove, but shall not do so until I have a replacement ready to swop.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:43 pm

The 2.5 TD is a monster of an engine. Its huge. The engine from my 2.5 is going to John for spares soon.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Paul. I hope you get a suitable replacement for it.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by minijet » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:50 pm

rosspa wrote:Paul, I am also Paul and am in Bedford, I will give them a call.

Roy, sounds interesting, would give you a call but would need your number.
Paul (rosspa),

Roy is the seller of the engine in the ebay link that I posted, his number is in the listing.

Paul

rosspa

Post by rosspa » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Have now got a short engine from Roy, who very kindly took it all apart to sell to me like that (just block,crank/pistons,balance shafts). Seems OK so far but I have a question to ask on the diesel forum regarding the hydraulic tappets.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Why buy the short engine, wasn't the whole caboodle available?
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

rosspa

Post by rosspa » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:56 am

Why? Indeed. Firstly,I had enough trouble transporting the short engine, would have incurred extra cost transporting full engine, Secondly, as unknown quantity, could inspect pistons/bores, thirdly, already have a re manufactured cylinder head and car had a recent new clutch. Finally, I would have ended up with whole lot of extra bits which I would then need to store. But it is true that I really would have preferred the complete engine/gearbox, just not practical.